Travellers wearing face masks arrive at Hong Kong Airport on Wednesday. AFP
Holders of diplomatic passports are exempted from this decision, noted the Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship in a statement on Wednesday.
According to the statement, the decision will apply to holders of exempted passports until a medical clearance process is activated at the departure country as part of global precautionary measures being undertaken to mitigate the spread of COVID-19.
The decision comes within the framework of the UAE's support for efforts by the international community to contain the virus, the statement concluded.
Emiratis banned from travelling abroad
Earlier during the day, the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation issued a statement notifying Emirati nationals not to travel abroad, effective immediately, and until further notice.
The move comes as part of the UAE's efforts to curb the spread of the coronavirus pandemic and ensure the safety and well-being of citizens, the statement read.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs added that it would continue to update the general public with all new and vital information, noting that all precautions currently being undertaken by the country are strictly to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 and ensure the health and safety of all.
Coronavirus concerns led Saudi Arabia to cut off air and sea travel with Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Italy, Kuwait, Lebanon, South Korea, Syria and the United Arab Emirates. The kingdom had earlier closed off its land borders as well.
This statement was made in a circular issued by the Ministry of Education and the National Emergency Crisis and Disaster Management Authority, NCEMA, as a preventive and precautionary measure to ensure the safety of students and in line with the national efforts to prevent the spread of coronavirus, COVID-19.
"We are deeply concerned both by the alarming levels of spread and severity and by the alarming levels of inaction. We have therefore made the assessment that COVID-19 can be characterised as a pandemic," WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a news conference on Wednesday.
One of the activists had published a picture of the Sphinx, in which he claimed that it “closed its eyes,” and said that this phenomenon indicates that a major event will occur in Egypt in the near future, according to him.
An informed source said, "All flights at Najaf airport have been suspended until further notice, due to the severity of the dust storm."
The Ministry stressed in a statement on Monday that its aim to continue expanding the scope of testing nationwide to facilitate the early detection of coronavirus cases and carry out the necessary treatment.