Medics treat an elderly patient infected with the new coronavirus, at a hospital in Tehran, Iran. File / AP
A 103-year-old woman in Iran has recovered after being infected with the new coronavirus, state media reported on Wednesday, despite overwhelming evidence the elderly are most at risk from the disease.
The unnamed woman had been hospitalised in the central city of Semnan for about a week, IRNA news agency said.
But she was "discharged after making a complete recovery", Semnan University of Medical Sciences head Navid Danayi was quoted as saying by IRNA.
The woman was the second elderly patient in Iran to have survived the disease.
The other was a 91-year-old man from Kerman, in the southeast of Iran, the news agency said.
After being sick for three days, he recovered on Monday despite having pre-existing medical conditions including high blood pressure and asthma, it added. The report did not say how the pair were treated.
Since Iran announced its first deaths on Feb.19, the novel coronavirus has spread to all of the country's 31 provinces and killed nearly 1,000 people.
The elderly are the most vulnerable to the disease, which first emerged in China late last year.
The World Health Organisation this month estimated the novel coronavirus kills 3.4 percent of all those infected.
But for people aged over 80 the fatality rate was 21.9 percent, according to a report the WHO carried out with the Chinese authorities.
The legislation provides federal public health agencies with money for vaccines, tests and potential treatments and helps state and local governments prepare and respond to the threat. The rapid spread of the virus has rocked financial markets, interrupted travel and threatens to affect everyday life in the United States.
All cases are being monitored round-the-clock, are in a stable condition and are receiving all necessary health care, MoHAP affirmed.
Joint humanitarian efforts saw the completion of the project within 48 hours since the UAE's announcement of evacuating students from neighbouring countries from the city of Wuhan on Wednesday.
Saudi Arabia announced on Saturday that it has placed new preventive measures in its fight against the coronavirus (COVID-19), by temporarily restricting the entry of Emirati, Kuwaiti and Bahraini nationals into the country.
In a statement given to 'Nation Shield,' the UAE Armed Forces magazine, Sheikh Khalifa added that these sacrifices are "medals of pride" that will adorn "our chests and those of our children and grandchildren."
Light rains fell over different parts of the country on Sunday. Rains started falling at 3pm, due to the effect of the extension of a weak western surface air depression with the extension of another weak western air depression in the upper layers of the atmosphere, resulting in a state of weather instability, according to the National Centre of Meteorology (NCM).
In his message, Modi thanked Sheikh Mohammed and the UAE government for the efforts of the country’s health authorities to monitor the COVID-19 pandemic, protect the entire community, reduce the spread of the virus...