A man and a child wear protective masks in Manila on Thursday. Associated Press
Manolo B. Jara, Correspondent
Infection by the novel coronavirus (nCOV) is not a “death sentence,” a ranking health official assured on Thursday to allay reported rising fears and alarm among Filipinos following confirmation that three Chinese nationals, including one death, have been afflicted by the dreaded ailment in the country.
Heath Undersecretary Eric Domingo aired the assurance, pointing out that at least 98 per cent of the reported nCOV cases have recovered from the disease that continued to spread in much of the world.
“It is not a death sentence even if you are diagnosed to have incurred the ailment because 98 percent probably will recover. Doctors know that 98 per cent will get better,” Domingo, also the Department of Health spokesman, stressed.
He likewise warned that private hospitals with infectious disease wards and isolation rooms would lose their licenses if proven that they refused to accept persons under investigation (PUIs) with nCOV.
So far, the health department reported that there are now 133 PUIs in the country. Of the total, 115 are currently admitted and isolated while 16 have been discharged under strict monitoring.
Also on Thursday, Health Secretary Francisco Duque sought a two-day delay in the arrival of the estimated 40 overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) deployed in Wuhan City, Hubei province in China, the epicenter of the ailment, who asked to be repatriated.
Earlier, the foreign office said the OFWs are to arrive at the Clark International Airport, a former giant US military airbase in Pampanga province in Central Luzon, on Saturday via a chartered plane.
From the airport, the OFWs are to be brought by special vehicles to a drug rehabilitation center inside Fort Magsaysay, the country’s biggest military installation in Nueva Ecija province in Central Luzon which is to serve as their quarantine site.
Duque said he discovered during his visit on Wednesday that the site still lacked adequate water supply as well as bedsheets, blankets and pillows for the OFWs who are to be isolated under strict quarantine rules for 14 days.
Most Filipinos reportedly expressed alarm folowing the announcement that a 60-year-old Chinese woman became the third confirmed nCOV patient in the country but who was allowed to return to China after initial tests proved she was negative of the ailment.
The Philippines on Tuesday included Taiwan in its expanded list of countries and territories covered by its travel ban arising from its determined move to help prevent the spread of the dreaded coronavirus (nCOV) that has already resulted in rising fears and alarm worldwide.
Wearing blue surgical masks amid a coronavirus outbreak, 220 couples exchanged vows and kisses in the central Philippines to launch their married lives.
The UAE Minister of Energy and Industry Suhail Bin Mohammed Al Mazrouei has said that a new agreement between Opec members is essential to support a balanced and less volatile market.
A health official on Wednesday revealed that the third confirmed novel coronavirus (nCOV) victim in the Philippines was a 60-year-old Chinese woman who was, however, allowed to return to China after she proved negative in the initial tests for the dreaded ailment.
His Highness Sheikh Humaid Bin Rashid Al Nuaimi, Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Ajman, welcomed the new structure of the UAE Government.
The last seven days during which the final preparations for the countdown to launch the UAE’s Probe of Hope into its orbit on Mars will start on Tuesday (July 8, 2020) from Japan’s Tanegashima Space Centre at 00:51.27 (UAE time) on July 15.
The campaign will run over the course of next 10 days with specific procedures and conditions.