This image has been used for illustrative purpose.
Wuhan: India and the Philippines have registered their first coronavirus cases.
So far 170 people have been killed by the virus since it emerged from a market in Wuhan, and more than 7,700 people have been sickened.
India said on Thursday a patient in the southern state of Kerala had tested positive for the coronavirus, the first case in the country of the virus.
The patient was a student of Wuhan University in China, India's government said in a statement. The patient is stable and in isolation at a hospital, the statement added.
A senior Indian government official said bringing Indian nationals from Wuhan, the epicentre of the virus, was not the best option due to the risk of infection but increased pressure from the citizens, most of them students, and their parents had forced them to keep an aircraft on standby.
This week, India readied a state-carrier airplane to travel to Wuhan but was waiting for a nod from Chinese authorities who were trying to sequence the whole evacuation process.
"Only those nationals who don't have the virus will be airlifted, they will be brought into a quarantine facility outside Delhi," the official said, requesting anonymity.
The Philippines also confirmed its first case of a new virus that has infected thousands in China.
Health Secretary Francisco Duque said the 38-year-old Chinese woman had travelled to the Philippines from Wuhan, China, via Hong Kong on Jan. 21. She sought treatment on Jan. 25 due to a mild cough.
Duque said at a news conference the woman was confirmed positive from test results on Thursday and currently has no symptoms.
The outbreak of the new type of coronavirus surfaced in the central city of Wuhan in December.
Some Pakistanis prefer to stay in Wuhan
"Fear, frustration and panic" is mounting among those still trapped, said Pakistani Ruqia Shaikh, 33, who was visiting friends when the city was locked down.
There are around 500 Pakistani students in Wuhan. Currently four have been diagnosed with the coronavirus, an official in Islamabad has said.
Those with families are eager to leave, said Ruqia, though some students prefer to remain where they are – happier to take their chances against the disease than run the gauntlet of Pakistan's poor health facilities.
"Our country is not capable of treating the coronavirus," she told AFP.
Demands from South Asian nationals intensified after countries such as the United States and Japan began pulling out their nationals.
Hundreds were flown to safety this week to Tokyo, Singapore and California on government-chartered flights, but those from countries with less diplomatic clout fear they are being left behind. Pregnant, newly wed and now trapped at the Chinese epicentre of a global health crisis, Thai national Aphinya is among thousands of foreigners desperate to escape.
"I feel hurt that they don't care about us," Aphinya Thasripech, 32, told AFP.
"Either I could starve or I'll get infected and die," said the factory worker, who is two months pregnant.
The illness has also spread around the world, with cases being recorded as far away as Finland and the United States, but all of the deaths have been in China.
China has imposed transport bans in and around Wuhan – effectively trapping tens of millions of people – including thousands of foreigners -- in a bid to contain the virus.
Aphinya arrived in China on two weeks ago to marry her Chinese husband in Xiantao – about 200 kilometres (120 miles) from Wuhan.
Now the city is a virtual ghost town, with restaurants and shops shuttered.
Aphinya said she is worried for the health of her unborn baby, and desperate for the Thai government to get her out.
For days, the government in Bangkok has said they are awaiting "permission" from China to evacuate 65 citizens known to be at ground zero.
But the wait is taking its toll.
"Sooner or later, it will get to us," said Aphinya, adding she had heard that a man had collapsed in a restaurant near her.
Thai medical student Badeephak Kaosala has barricaded himself in his dorm room with a dwindling supply of food and water.
He has watched with disbelief as wealthy nations have mounted mercy flights for their stricken citizens, with no word from home on when – or if – he might get out.
"China has given permission to so many other countries... so we feel really down," , 23, told AFP.
South Korea, France and Britain have all announced preparations to evacuate their citizens. Japan has already brought out two planeloads.
But Fadil, an Indonesian doctoral student in Wuhan who goes by one name, said he and his friends are desperate to leave – even if only to another Chinese city.
There are about 100 Indonesians in Wuhan, and another 143 elsewhere in Hubei province.
"The key thing is that we want to get out of here," he said. "Only fools would want to stay in Wuhan."
A few Myanmar nationals living in Wuhan have taken to Facebook, issuing public pleas to be brought home.
"Other countries are calling back their citizens... when are we going back?" said Khin Thiri Thant Zin, a hospital intern in Wuhan.
"I have a headache from crying so much -- I cannot sleep at night."
A gang of knife-wielding men jumped a delivery driver in Hong Kong and stole hundreds of toilet rolls, police said Monday, in a city wracked by shortages caused by coronavirus panic-buying.
South Korea’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) announced additional 161 cases and 2 deaths on Monday, bringing the toll to 763 that puts the country third in the list of COVID-19 infected hotspots.
Popularised by dancer and internet personality Qang Dang, who has nearly 300,000 followers on TikTok and Instagram, he and another dancer performed it with light-hearted swagger on a street with food vendors.
Millions of Indians turned out to cast ballots in a state election on Wednesday in the world’s biggest vote since the coronavirus emerged, with booths packed out and many ignoring government advice on wearing masks and social distancing.
Top Turkish officials condemned a caricature scorning President Tayyip Erdogan in the French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo on Wednesday, calling it a “disgusting effort” to “spread its cultural racism and hatred.”
Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum and Sheikh Mohamed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan expressed appreciation to this initiative of hosting a simple ceremony, given the current circumstances of COVID-19 pandemic.