Meghan and Prince Harry return to Buckingham Palace after the Queen's Birthday Parade, 'Trooping the Colour,' in London. File / AFP
The palace announced on Saturday that the couple would no longer use their "Royal Highness" titles and would pay their own way in life. Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the whole country wished them "the very best" with the new arrangement.
"As I said before ... I was sure that the royal family, which has been around a very long time, will find a way forward," Johnson told Sky News in Germany, where he was attending a summit on Libya.
The monarchy was thrown into turmoil earlier this month when Harry and his American former actress wife announced that they wanted to reduce their official duties and spend more time in North America.
Saturday's announcement from the palace followed discussions in recent days between Queen Elizabeth, her family and officials over how this would work in practice for Harry, 35, and Meghan, 38.
Thomas Markle told Channel 5 news in a documentary that he believed Meghan was tossing away "every girl's dream."
"It's disappointing because she actually got every girl's dream. Every young girl wants to become a princess and she got that and now she's tossing that away, for, it looks like she's tossing that away for money," he said.
The interview was filmed after the couple's announcement that they would step back as senior members of the royal family. Channel 5 released part of the interview on Sunday and said the full documentary would air "in the coming weeks."
Thomas Markle described the royal family as "one of the greatest long-living institutions ever," saying that when Meghan married Harry in May 2018 they took an obligation "to be part of the royals and to represent the royals."
"This is like one of the greatest long-living institutions ever," he said. "They are destroying it, they are cheapening it, they're making it shabby ... They are turning it into a Walmart with a crown of it now. It is something that is ridiculous, they shouldn't be doing this."
Merchandise depicting Prince Harry and Meghan are seen on display in a souvenir shop near Buckingham Palace on Sunday. Reuters
Thomas Markle and his daughter have been estranged since her marriage to Harry.
Earlier this month, the Mail on Sunday newspaper submitted its defence to court action by Meghan over the publication of a private letter she sent to her father.
Thomas Markle said he did not expect Meghan to get in contact.
"I can't see her reaching out to me, especially now ... or Harry for that matter, but I think both of them are turning into lost souls at this point," he said.
"I don't know what they're looking for. I don't think they know what they are looking for."
When extraordinary people opt for an “ordinary” life, they sometimes end up paying a royal price. That sort of sums up the “Megxit” crisis, which began on Jan.8 when Prince Harry
Australians campaigning to end the former colony's allegiance to the British monarchy “warmly” congratulated Harry and Meghan on Tuesday on the birth of their son.
Britain's Prince Harry and his wife Meghan showed off their newborn son on Wednesday, describing having a baby as "magic."
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are rarely out of the headlines. This has been the case since they broke royal protocol by holding hands at the Invictus Games during their first public appearance back in 2017. We want to read about them. We want to know what they’re up to. We, as the public, are often infuriated at the royal couple wanting
Russian President Vladimir Putin said in the same interview that he didn't use a mobile phone. He had access to a special official phone, he said, that could connect with any number he wanted.
The decision comes a day after two cases of coronavirus were reported in Pakistan. Both the infected people had recently visited Iran, where the number of people affected by the virus has grown drastically in the past few days. Health officials have said both were "stable."
The victim was stabbed several times. An autopsy is being carried out on the body for further investigation.
A city in China's Hubei province, the epicentre of the global coronavirus epidemic, will pay residents as much as 10,000 yuan ($1,425.96) if they proactively report symptoms of the illness and it is confirmed after testing.
Qianjiang, a city of around one million people located about 150km from the stricken provincial capital of Wuhan, has reported a total of 197 cases so far and is stepping up efforts to ensure its infected people are confined and treated.