Rescue personnel work at the site where a building collapsed, trapping and killing workers, in Cambodia. AFP
The death toll from the collapse of a building under construction in Cambodia has surged to 36, even as an additional survivor was pulled from the rubble, officials said on Sunday.
At least a dozen bodies were found in overnight operations at the site in the coastal province of Kep, where the building toppled on Friday.
Prime Minister Hun Sen announced the end of the rescue operation, confirming that 23 injured survivors were found.
A statement from Kep provincial authorities said that at least 13 women and six children were among the dead.
Women are often employed as construction workers in Cambodia and neighboring Thailand, and families of workers also often live at the construction sites.
At a news conference at the site, Hun Sen said the couple who owned the building and hired the construction crew had been detained and sent to court to face charges. He did not specify the charges. A committee was being set up to determine the cause of the collapse.
Hun Sen said that according to preliminary findings, the building collapsed because the construction work failed to adhere to safety standards.
He said that plywood that is normally put underneath the concrete separating each floor is supposed to remain in place for about one month to allow proper setting, but instead was removed after roughly 10 days. He also indicated that the rebar - the steel rods assembled in a mesh to reinforce the concrete - were not of a strong enough gauge.
A senior provincial police officer had said Friday that the accident occurred after concrete had been poured on the top level of the building.
"The governorate's crisis room was informed at 3:00 am (0100 GMT) of the collapse of a building consisting of a basement, a ground floor and nine (upper) floors," the Cairo governorate said in a statement, according to AFP.
The building collapsed early on Saturday. State newspaper Al-Ahram said that search and rescue workers recovered the bodies over the course of the day.
A large section of the 10-storey Metropol building that was under construction in a busy street in the city of Abadan crashed to the ground on May 23, leading to one of the country's deadliest disasters in recent years.
Rescue workers were searching on Tuesday for nine people missing in the ruins. Authorities had earlier suggested that 14 people had already been rescued but offered the new tally following "further analysis and screening of new information".
A team of young Emirati engineers at the Sharjah Research, Technology and Innovation Park (SRTIP) have achieved a new breakthrough in developing prosthetic limbs using 3D printing technology.
The diameter of the asteroid, which was called “2023 DZ2”, is estimated to be 93 metres, the height of the Big Ben clock tower is 96 meters, and its maximum possible diameter is 96 meters, and scientists claim that it could be as small as 41 meters.
Astronomers had long been searching for comet-like objects entering the Solar System from the vastness of interstellar space, but had never before observed one.
Contacts between Riyadh and Damascus had gathered momentum following a landmark agreement to re-establish ties between Saudi Arabia and Iran, a key ally of President Bashar Al-Assad, a regional source aligned with Damascus said.