This photo shows rescue workers reach at the site of an airstrike in northwestern Syria. File photo
Airstrikes on a rebel-held town killed eight people and wounded more than a dozen Saturday in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib, the last remaining rebel stronghold in the war-torn country, opposition activists said. The attack came amid a government offensive in the region.
The latest casualties in the town of Saraqeb came as government forces captured two new villages on the southern edge of Idlib. The province has been the center point of a government push under the cover of airstrikes, according to opposition activists and pro-government media.
The offensive has already forced thousands of civilians to abandon their homes and flee for their lives.
Saraqeb and Maaret al-Numan are two major rebel-held towns that sit on the highway that links the capital Damascus with the northern city of Aleppo, Syria's largest. The opposition's Syrian Civil Defense, also known as White Helmets, said that both towns are almost empty after most civilians fled.
Before this latest bout of violence that began a few weeks ago, the UN reported that some 60,000 Idlib residents had been displaced in recent weeks by the government offensive.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said eight civilians were killed and more than 20 wounded in the Saturday morning airstrikes on Saraqeb. The opposition's Syrian Civil Defense said eight people were killed and 25 wounded in the airstrikes saying that it hit a market.
Since a cease-fire imposed at the end of August collapsed in the past weeks, the government has been pushing to clear access to the strategic Damascus-Aleppo highway. Syrian troops have been pushing northward toward Maaaret al-Numan in recent days.
Idlib, which is dominated by Al Qaeda-linked militants, is home to 3 million civilians and the UN has warned of the growing risk of a humanitarian catastrophe along the Turkish border.
Militant-dominated Idlib has come under mounting bombardment in recent weeks, displacing tens of thousands of people in the northwestern region home to some three million.
Opposition war monitor the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights and activist collective Deir Ezzor 24 said the airstrikes targeted the Ayash Camp run by the Fatimiyoun group.
A Britain-based war monitoring group said the Israeli airstrikes killed 11 people. Syrian state media only reported that two civilians were killed.
Al Suhaimi's death caused a gloom among Saudis. Many of his fans on the X platform expressed their sadness over his death.
Social media users circulated video clips showing strong sounds and lights emanating from different areas in Libya.
In a statement, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) affirmed that the UAE expresses its strong condemnation of these criminal acts, and its permanent rejection of all forms of violence and terrorism aimed at undermining security and stability in contravention of human values and principles.
Locals and conservationists reacted with outrage Thursday at the deliberate destruction of one of the UK's most photographed trees, next to the Roman-era Hadrian's Wall, a UNESCO World Heritage site in northeast England.