A loader is seen amid coal piles at a port in Lianyungang, Jiangsu province, China. File photo/Reuters
Fourteen miners were killed on Tuesday in a coal and gas blast at a mine in southwest China, leaving two people still trapped underground, authorities said.
The accident in the early hours of Tuesday is the latest in a series of mining incidents in China, where safety regulations are often poorly enforced.
Two people were still trapped underground after the blast at Guanglong coal mine in Anlong county, Guizhou province, said the Southwest Guizhou Autonomous Prefecture government.
Seven workers were lifted to safety after the accident and rescue work was ongoing, according to local authorities.
The accident in Guizhou came days after flooding in a mine in southwest China’s Sichuan province killed five and trapped 13 miners underground.
State broadcaster CCTV said 347 miners were working underground at the Shanmushu coal mine owned by Sichuan Coal Industry Group in Gongxian county when the flood happened on Saturday.
Last month at least 15 were killed in a mine blast in north China’s Shanxi province, which an official said was caused by activity that “broke the law and regulations.”
At a meeting in November, the State Council — China’s cabinet — ordered a “special crackdown on production-related safety issues” to “further improve workplace safety,” state media reported.
Nine other people were injured by the gas explosion on Monday afternoon, which took place in a mine owned by Shanxi Pingyao Fengyan Coal & Coke Group Co, according to official news agency Xinhua.
After riding China’s demand train for nearly two decades, Asia’s coal industry is looking to a future of smaller markets and slimmer pickings, as buying declines in the world’s second-biggest economy and climate change concerns blunt demand.
China will launch a month-long, nationwide inspection campaign into hazardous chemicals, mines, transportation and fire safety
Dubai’s Burj Khalifa and Abu Dhabi’s ADNOC headquarters lit up in the Saudi colours to mark the event.
His Highness Dr Sheikh Sultan Bin Mohammed Al Qasimi, Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Sharjah, on Wednesday inspected the students’ forum building and food court projects at the University of Sharjah (UOS).
Dubai Duty Free announced the 339th US$1 million dollar winner in the latest Dubai Duty Free Millennium Millionaire and Finest Surprise draw held on Wednesday at Terminal 2 Departure of Dubai International Airport.
As a former military man, Matar Al Nuaimi, Director General of the Abu Dhabi Public Health Centre and Director of the Emergency and Disaster Management Division, knows very well the importance of being prepared for a major battle.