Girl kidnapped in Karachi returns home, kidnappers still at large - GulfToday

Girl kidnapped in Karachi returns home, kidnappers still at large


Dua Mangi's picture taken from her facebook page.

Tariq Butt, Staff Reporter

A week after she was kidnapped in Karachi, 20-year-old law student Dua Mangi returned home on Saturday, a statement issued by the office of Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Police, South Zone, Karachi Sharjeel Kharal said.

The statement added that the investigation in the case is ongoing and police will soon provide further information.
Dua has reached her home safely.

Her mother said her daughter has safely returned home.

"I am thankful to the media and the civil society.”

Earlier, Dua’s uncle, Waseem Mangi, while speaking to a news channel had confirmed of her return.

"There are many angles to the issue. I cannot speak about any particular one [right now],” he said.

Moreover, her aunt told the media that there was no assistance provided in her recovery and she had returned only through the prayers of the people of Sindh and the media’s help.

She further added that Dua is currently at another location and is deeply disturbed and is being given medicine.

Dua had been kidnapped from Karachi’s Defence Housing Authority last week by armed persons. She was abducted from near a restaurant in the Bukhari Commercial area.

At the time of the kidnapping, Dua had been walking home with a friend, Haris Soomro.

Soomro was shot critically by the abductors as they kidnapped Dua.

He was subsequently taken to a private hospital for treatment, where he remains in critical condition.

Police had lodged an FIR for the incident naming at least four unidentified persons.

Law enforcement officials had said that the men who kidnapped Dua had used a car that was previously stolen from the Karachi’s PECHS area.

After her kidnap it was reported that kidnappers have asked for a ransom of $2.5m for her release.

Police had said the ransom demand was made through WhatsApp from Mangi’s parents.

Kidnappers have contacted the family thrice in the last three days.

They insisted on payment of the money when they last contacted the girl’s parents on Wednesday.

Besides the police, intelligence agencies are also investigating the kidnapping incident.

Despite the efforts the police absolutely failed even in getting some substantive clues to the incident which has generated a widespread wave of fear among the citizens of the lawless city.

The girl’s uncle after her kidnap had said that they have no idea what the police are doing and alleged that the force was clueless.

He had  expressed dissatisfaction over the ongoing investigation.

He had appealed to the police high ups to intervene and recover the girl.

The case has attracted immense coverage on TV channels and in newspapers.


Related articles