Omar Al Bahsir speaks during an event in Khartoum. File
A joint meeting of Sudan's Sovereign Council and the Council of Ministers has approved a law to dissolve former ruling National Congress Party (NCP).
"We have passed this law in a joint meeting with our partners in the Sovereign Council to take its full legitimacy," Sudan's Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok wrote on his Facebook page on Thursday.
The law tends to establish justice, ensure respect for the dignity of the people, and safeguard their gains, said Hamdok, adding that the law also aims to enable recovering "the looted wealth" of the Sudanese people, Xinhua news agency reported.
The endorsed law includes dismantling the former regime and dissolving the NCP and its institutions.
The constitutional declaration, previously approved by the sovereign council and the cabinet, stipulates that the council and the cabinet have the right to pass the laws until the transitional parliament is established.
The NCP, under former President Omar Al Bashir, had ruled Sudan for 30 years since 1989 until the Sudanese army ousted Bashir in April amid popular protests that erupted in December last year.
On Wednesday, local Sudanese media reported the NCP warned in a statement against any move to dissolve it or prevent it from its legal right in political exercise.
Indo-Asian News Service
Sudan's public prosecutor has begun investigating ousted president Omar Al Bashir on charges of money laundering and possession of large sums of foreign currency without legal grounds, a judicial source said on Saturday.
Sudan's ex-president Omar Al Bashir was charged with corruption-related offences on Sunday, as he appeared in public for the first time since he was overthrown in April.
Sudanese mediators facilitating talks between the army rulers and protest leaders have proposed the country have two transition councils, with one led by generals overseeing security, a protest leader said on Sunday.
The SPEA said if parents are reluctant to send kids to the schools in the first phase of reopening, they can choose the distance learning option.
The ministry announced one death due to COVID-19 complications, bringing the total number of deaths in the country to 358.
The statement comes as a big relief to Indians who were stranded due to the coronavirus pandemic.