An Iraqi demonstrator holds an Iraqi flag during ongoing anti-govt protests in Baghdad on Wednesday. Thaier Al-Sudani/ Reuters
Clashes between Iraqi protesters and security forces in central Baghdad killed four people and wounded 62 on Thursday, Iraqi medical and security officials said.
According to the officials, the casualties occurred in the Khilani area near Tahrir Square, which has been witnessing protests for weeks. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity in line with regulations.
The protests have mostly been taking place in Baghdad and the predominantly Shiite southern provinces. At least 320 people have been killed and thousands have been wounded since the unrest began on Oct.1, when angry protesters took to the streets in the tens of thousands.
Thursday’s clashes came a day after protesters said that an intensifying crackdown by authorities has been instilling fear and reducing turnout but said they would remain defiant. The protesters also called for people to return to the streets in large numbers later this week.
The protesters are outraged by what they say is widespread corruption, lack of job opportunities and poor basic services, including electricity cuts, despite the country’s vast oil wealth.
They have so far rejected government proposals for economic and constitutional reforms and are calling on the entire political leadership to resign, including the Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi.
Tens of thousands of people have taken to the streets in recent weeks in the capital, Baghdad, and across the Shiite south, demanding sweeping political change. The protesters complain of widespread corruption, a lack of job opportunities and poor basic services, with regular power cuts despite the country's vast oil reserves.
The death toll from protests this month has soared to 220, including dozens killed since Friday as they torched government buildings or offices.
Eleven people were killed during protests overnight in two southern Iraqi cities, including a policeman, police and medical sources said on Thursday, raising the death toll to 18 since anti-government protests
Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said 39 people have been rescued alive from collapsed buildings in Elazig province, with a further 22 people estimated to be trapped under the rubble. He said the death toll had risen to 22.
Prime Minister Hassan Diab, the successor to Saad Hariri who quit as prime minister in late October, vowed to meet demands from the street — but demonstrators were unconvinced.
Following the announcement of the jury panel, members held their first meeting, where they discussed the work mechanisms for the upcoming stage that includes reviewing the list of nominations received from the Technical Advisory Committee to determine the ultimate winners of the Award.