Picture shown is for illustrative purposes only.
The Malian army said it had killed around 50 militants during an operation in which it managed to rescue some of the soldiers who were captured during deadly attacks last month on two bases in the centre of the country.
Unidentified assailants killed 38 soldiers during the Sept. 30 attacks, among the heaviest losses for Mali's army this year as it struggles to repel increasingly brazen raids by militant groups, some with links to Al Qaeda and Daesh.
"Around 50 enemy neutralised, around 30 wounded, and equipment destroyed," the army said in statement detailing the results of its counter-operation.
The army said it had freed 36 of around 60 of its soldiers who were missing following the September raids. Their relatives have protested over the high death toll and a lack of information on the casualties and those missing.
The West African country has been in conflict since 2012 when militants hijacked an ethnic uprising by Tuaregs in the north. The violence has since moved to central Mali, from where jihadist fighters launch attacks across the Sahel region.
In a further example of the spiralling insecurity, pro-government Tuareg militia GATIA on Saturday said six of its fighters had been killed in an overnight raid on a GATIA outpost by unidentified assailants in Mali's northern region of Kidal.
The situation has raised concerns that the under-funded regional G5 force, comprising troops from Mauritania, Mali, Niger, Chad, and Burkina Faso, is unable to stop unrest spreading from West Africa's restive hinterland to coastal countries including Ivory Coast and Ghana.
Burkina Faso, bordering Mali and Niger, has seen regular militant attacks which have left hundreds dead since the start of 2015 when militant violence began to spread across the Sahel region.
This joint operation, presented on Saturday by the two armies' top commanders as the first of its kind, took place northeast of the Ivorian town of Ferkessedougou and south of Banfora in Burkina Faso.
A statement from President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita's office said he had accepted Soumeylou Boubeye Maiga's resignation and that of his government two weeks after mass protests erupted over the rising tide of violence.
Video from WFBO showed a Buffalo police officer appearing to push a 75-year-old man who walked up to police clearing Niagara Square around the 8 p.m. curfew Thursday.
Pakistani authorities backed by security forces shut down more than 3,000 shops and markets across the country in a series of raids for violating social distancing regulations, after COVID-19 cases surpassed those in neighbouring China.
The total number of recovered cases of Coronavirus (Covid-19) has reached 20,337 with 765 cases fully recovered on Friday after receiving treatment.