No matching items found
The Taliban killed at least 11 policemen in northern Balkh province. File photo/ AFP
Afghan officials say a multi-pronged Taliban attack on a district headquarters in northern Balkh province has killed at least 11 policemen.
Munir Ahmad Farhad, spokesman for the provincial governor, says the attack started early on Tuesday morning and triggered a gunbattle that is still underway around the Shortepa district headquarters.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid says the insurgents have overrun the district - a claim that Farhad denies. The spokesman says reinforcements are on their way to Shortepa.
Mohammad Afzel Hadid, head of the Balkh provincial council, says he fears the casualty toll could rise further unless reinforcement arrive promptly as the district is in a remote area.
Taliban attacks have continued unabated even as Afghanistan held presidential elections last week and US-Taliban talks over a peace deal collapsed last month.
The Taliban stormed a checkpoint in northern Afghanistan, killing at least 15 policemen in the latest attack by insurgents, an Afghan provincial official said on Tuesday.
Taliban fighters have stormed several security posts providing protection to Afghanistan’s historic minaret of Jam, cutting access to the Unesco World Heritage Site and killing 18 security forces, officials said on Wednesday.
The Taliban targeted an army checkpoint in northern Afghanistan on Tuesday, killing at least fifteen Afghan soldiers, the defense ministry and the insurgents said.
A defence ministry official speaking to the media on condition of anonymity confirmed the army toll while the provincial police spokesman Hejratullah Akbari confirmed the police fatalities.
India on Wednesday returned a Chinese soldier detained after straying across a disputed border where the two countries have clashed in recent months, China's army announced.
She also demanded the father pay the salary of two maids and a driver and provide a modern car for transportation.
He founded the Emirates News Agency WAM in 1977, and took over its management until 1989, then he was assigned to direct it in 1997.
The Dubai Public Prosecution referred a 42-year-old unemployed Arab to the Dubai Criminal Court on charges of forging 27 entry permits against Dhs120,000.