The 18-karat toilet, titled 'America,' by Maurizio Cattelan seen in the restroom of the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York. File /AP
Burglars have stolen a fully-functional 18-carat gold toilet from Britain's Blenheim Palace, where it had been installed as an art exhibit, police said on Saturday.
The toilet, valued at more than $5 million, was part of an exhibition of work by Italian conceptual artist Maurizio Cattelan which opened two days ago at the stately home 60 miles west of London, a major tourist attraction.
The toilet, named "America", was previously on display in a cubicle at New York's Guggenheim Museum, where more than 100,000 visitors were able to use it.
Thieves with at least two vehicles broke into the palace, the birthplace of World War Two leader Winston Churchill, and removed the toilet some time before 5:00am (0400 GMT), Thames Valley Police said.
"Due to the toilet being plumbed in to the building, this has caused significant damage and flooding," Detective Inspector Jess Milne added in a public statement.
Police said they had arrested one 66-year-old man in connection with the theft, but had not recovered the artwork.
Blenheim Palace said it was saddened by the loss of the "precious" artwork, which it said and that the rest of the exhibition would reopen on Sunday.
Last year, while the toilet was at the Guggenheim, the Washington Post reported that President Donald Trump turned down an offer from the museum to temporarily install the toilet for his personal use in the White House.
A man assaulted policemen and bragged about his nationality during a standoff, a jury heard on Sunday.
Very few decision makers questioned whether the police’s approach to protest was heavy-handed until now and this is because it’s white people raising these concerns. Prior to this, peacefully protesting Black people were talking, shouting,
The suspect was sentenced to life term in his home country for trafficking in narcotics and psychotropic substances, trafficking in firearms, along with charges of transporting weapons without a licence and presiding a criminal gang.
The death toll from Friday's crash was revised down from 288 after it was found that some bodies had been counted twice, said Pradeep Jena. The tally was unlikely to rise, he told reporters. "Now the rescue operation is complete."
The projects, whose progress Sheikh Ahmed reviewed, are part of the first two phases of the Hatta Master Development Plan launched under the directives of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, and the follow up of Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai and Chairman of The Executive Council of Dubai.
She will be splitting the prize money with her brother-in-law and plans to donate a portion of her winnings to charity. A separate sum, she says, will be spent on her children’s higher education.
A court sentenced an Arab woman to three months in jail to be followed by deportation for attempting to travel to Switzerland via Dubai International Airport with a French passport belonging to a woman who looked like her before she was caught by a passport control officer.