Justin Trudeau speaks during Canada Day festivities on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. File photo/ Reuters
The Canadian Consulate in Hong Kong said on Friday it has suspended travel to mainland China for local staff, just days after an employee of the city’s British Consulate was confirmed to have been detained in China.
The Canadian Consulate, in an email to Reuters, did not provide a reason for the travel restrictions.
On Wednesday, China’s foreign ministry confirmed that Simon Cheng, an employee of the British mission, had been detained in the border city of Shenzhen neighbouring Hong Kong.
Hong Kong has been gripped by anti-government protests for weeks, with China accusing Britain and other Western countries of meddling in its affairs.
Canada has warned increased screening of travellers’ digital devices had been reported at border crossings between mainland China and Hong Kong, as anti-government protests in the Chinese-controlled territory head into their 12th week.
The Canadian government updated its entry and exit guidance for China on its website to include the advisory on Thursday.
China warned Ottawa not to meddle in Hong Kong’s affairs.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Wednesday that Canada was paying close attention to events in Hong Kong, and called for restraint and respect for human rights.
Hong Kong has been rocked by protests for nearly three months, and the city is bracing for further demonstrations and a “stress test” of the city’s international airport at the weekend.
The protests, which escalated in June over a now-suspended bill that would allow criminal suspects in Hong Kong to be extradited to mainland China for trial, have grown into wider calls for political freedom.
An employee of the British consulate in Hong Kong who was detained in China’s border city of Shenzhen amid accusations of outside interference in pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong was released
US diplomatic passport holders visiting Hong Kong and nearby Macao will temporarily no longer receive visa-free entry privileges, spokesperson Hua Chunying said.
Police, widely criticised for failing to better protect the public from the triad raid in Yuen Long, have refused to allow the latest march on safety grounds.
The site was checked by the operation team of NSRC. With the capabilities of NSRC's search and rescue aircraft, the SAR team was able to evacuate the patient from peak of mountain to Kalba Hospital to receive the necessary treatment.
Russian troops have detained Ihor Murashov, director of Ukraine's Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant, state nuclear regulator Enerhoatom said, as per a media report.
In the video bride can be seen excercising on machines in the gym in full bridal attire and when egged on by the people in the video she goes on to lift her groom with ease.