The death toll from Typhoon Lekima rises to 49 on Tuesday and 21 still missing. AFP
The death toll from Typhoon Lekima rose to 49 on Tuesday and 21 were still missing after the monster storm wreaked havoc on China’s eastern coast, causing huge damage with strong gales and torrential rain.
Lekima hit the three Chinese provinces of Zhejiang, Shandong and Anhui over the weekend and forced more than a million residents to flee.
China’s official news agency Xinhua said late Monday that at least 49 people are dead with dozens still missing.
Footage on state broadcaster CCTV showed flooded fields and streets, submerged vehicles, scattered debris and trees blown over as strong winds and rain pounded cities along the seaboard.
Lekima made landfall in Zhejiang province on Saturday, which bore the brunt of the damage after the storm hit with winds of nearly 190 kilometres per hour (120 miles per hour) and pounded the coast with waves several metres in height.
Xinhua said the rainfall recorded this weekend in Shandong province was the largest since records began in 1952.
The natural disaster has inflicted economic losses of at least 26 billion yuan (US$3.7 billion), authorities said.
Rescue workers were shown on CCTV using boats and rope pulleys to carry out stranded residents over the weekend.
Thousands of flights were cancelled and train routes disrupted due to the typhoon, the state broadcaster reported, as Beijing, Shanghai and other major cities grounded planes.
Hundreds of tourist sites along the coast, including Shanghai Disneyland, were closed ahead of the storm.
The death toll from typhoon Lekima in eastern China rose to 44 people on Monday morning, according to official data, as the storm continued up the coast, racking up billions of dollars
The death toll from a massive explosion last week at a pesticide plant in eastern China rose to 78 on Monday, with 13 people listed as being critically injured, as the government again pledged stricter safely controls, state media reported.
Rescuers found the bodies of two children, a mother with her baby and another woman on Thursday in Shuicheng county, Guizhou province, according to state broadcaster CCTV, citing an investigation.
The campaign will run over the course of next 10 days with specific procedures and conditions.
Ahmed Al Khadim confirmed that the field hospital was established with a capacity of 450 beds to relieve hospitals in the city and areas of the eastern coast are accommodate simple and medium cases of people infected with the coronavirus.
Tourists and visitors coming to Dubai from July 7 must complete five steps to enter the emirate. They must check if an entry visa is required or not, book a flight, have travel insurance that covers COVID-19 or bear treatment and isolation costs, apply for a PCR test in the tourist’s home country 96 hours before travel or make the test upon arrival in Dubai.