People watch rescue efforts after a landslide in Paung township, Mon state on Saturday. Sai Aung Main/ AFP
The death toll from a landslide triggered by monsoon rains in eastern Myanmar rose to 34, an official said Saturday, as emergency workers continued to search through mud for scores more feared missing.
"We found 34 dead, and the search for dead bodies is still ongoing," said local administrator Myo Min Tun.
Officials believe that more than 80 people could still be missing.
Search and rescue teams worked through the night trying to find survivors and recover bodies from the deep sludge.
“So far we have found 22 bodies and 47 injured people,” said local administrator Myo Min Tun.
Officials believe up to 100 people could still be missing.
Aerial pictures showed broken remnants of rooftops and other debris from the houses strewn next to trucks knocked over by the force of the mudslide.
Htay Htay Win, 32, told AFP that two of her daughters and five other relatives had still not been found.
“I heard a huge noise and turned round to see my home being hit by the mud,” she said, crying.
Rescue workers spent on Saturday morning loading bodies wrapped in plastic onto the back of flatbed trucks as worried villagers looked on.
Emergency crews had to unblock the main highway from Yangon to Mawlamyine, buried under six feet (1.8 metres) of sludge.
Torrential downpours have burst riverbanks across the country while coastal communities have been warned of higher tides.
In the town of Shwegyin in eastern Bago region, residents waded out through waist-deep waters or waited to be rescued by boat after the Sittaung river burst its banks, swallowing entire homes.
Around 89,000 people have been displaced by floods in recent weeks, although many have since been able to return home, according to the UN’s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.
Vietnam has also experienced heavy flooding this week with at least eight people killed in the country’s central highlands and rescuers using a zipline to carry dozens of others to safety.
The state fire department said late on Tuesday that more than 180 soldiers were already working in the stricken Petropolis region, which saw hundreds of deaths from heavy rainfall in 2011.
The Quito Security Department said at least 48 more people were injured, while eight houses collapsed and others were damaged when the hillside gave way late on Monday. The authorities also reported 12 missing people.
"We have estimated between 15 and 20 people who are still missing," Defence Minister Jose Gavidia said on a visit to the town on Tuesday night, some 12 hours after the collapse of the hill.
The police termed it as “Operation Storm” busted the largest smuggling operation of the drug Captagon in the world in an exceptional mission characterised by professionalism and careful planning.
Messina Denaro, 61, was suffering from cancer of the colon at the time of his arrest. As his condition worsened in recent weeks, he was transferred to a hospital from the maximum-security jail in central Italy where he was initially held.
Dubai Civil Defence teams were able to distinguish a fire that broke out in a residential tower located in Sport City on Monday morning. No injuries were reported, an official source confirmed.