Hun Sen said the $40m to be spent by Cambodia was in addition to a total of $290m already given by China for modernizing the forces. File photo/Reuters
Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen said on Monday that an additional $40 million would be spent on weapons from China to modernise the Southeast Asian country's military
Cambodia's military ties with ally China have been under increased scrutiny after concerns expressed by the United States and a report - denied by Hun Sen - of a secret deal to allow Chinese forces to use a Cambodian naval base.
Hun Sen said the $40 million to be spent by Cambodia was in addition to a total of $290 million already given by China for modernising the forces. He spoke during a visit to a Chinese-funded stadium in the capital Phnom Penh.
Hun Sen said weapons being purchased included tens of thousands of guns to replace old stock and they were already being shipped.
“I want to strengthen the army,” Hun Sen said in a speech broadcast live on Facebook.
Hun Sen again dismissed a Wall Street Journal report last week that China had reached a secret deal with Cambodia this year to let it place forces at Ream. The report cited US and allied officials.
The United States has also voiced concern that the Ream naval base in southern Cambodia could host forces from China.
A Cambodian court charged seven people on Tuesday, including five Chinese nationals, with involuntary manslaughter and conspiracy after 28 people died in a collapsed building on the weekend.
The agreement, reached this spring but not made public, gives China exclusive access to part of Cambodia’s Ream Naval Base on the Gulf of Thailand, the Journal reported, citing US
China's National Health Commission said it had recorded 121 new deaths and 5,090 new coronavirus cases on the mainland on Feb.13, taking the accumulated total infected to 63,851 people.
The Roads and Transport Authority further said it seeks to provide extensive support to community members during this challenging period and stressed that everyone’s cooperation is critical to combat the pandemic.
Two centres would be conducting the test from the car, while the third would be for laboratory analysis, he added.
The measures will be effective from 8.00 pm on Saturday, 4 April, 2020 for a period of two weeks, subject to renewal.