Yukiya Amano smiles as he waits for a board of governors meeting to begin at the IAEA headquarters in Vienna, Austria. File photo/ Reuters
The head of the UN’s nuclear watchdog, Yukiya Amano, has died after suffering poor health for some time, the International Atomic Energy Agency said on Monday, as international tensions run high over Iran’s nuclear activities.
The longtime Japanese diplomat, who was 72, held the IAEA’s top job since December 2009.
“The secretariat of the International Atomic Energy Agency regrets to inform with deepest sadness of the passing away of Director General Yukiya Amano,” the IAEA said in a statement, without saying when he died.
During his tenure, Amano oversaw the signing of a landmark deal in 2015 between Iran and six major powers — Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia and the United States — under which the Islamic republic agreed to curb its nuclear programme in exchange for the lifting of sanctions.
But international tensions with Iran have been rising since US President Donald Trump unilaterally pulled out of the deal in May 2018.
Amano’s third term as IAEA chief had originally been due to expire in November 2021, but he had been expected to announce his intention to step down early because of health reasons.
The IAEA said its flag over its headquarters in Vienna had been lowered to half-mast.
Abe will not hold talks with Moon unless Seoul takes constructive steps over World War-Two era forced labour and other issues, the paper said.
Prime Minister Shinzo Abe led commemorations at the Peace Memorial Park in Hiroshima as residents offered silent prayers, lit candles and placed wreathes to remember those killed in the Aug.6, 1945 bombing.
The United States was “very encouraged” by a recent meeting between the leaders of South Korea and Japan, a top US diplomat said on Wednesday, as strained ties threatened to undercut three-way security cooperation on North Korea.
In a statement, the Saudi Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, said the new measures will require pilgrims to wear face masks and will forbid entry to the holy sites without a permit, starting from 19th July until 2nd August, 2020.
Foreign Minister Moahmood Qureshi announced on Friday that he too tested positive for the virus. The two men say their symptoms are mild. In a tweet on Monday, Mirza said he is self-isolating.
The health and safety of students and staff at Dubai’s private schools take top priority in new protocols just released by the Government of Dubai.