Kenneth McKenzie and General Prince Fahd Bin Turki speak during a joint news conference in Riyadh. Nael Shyoukhi/Reuters
• US troops and Patriot air defense missile systems have already arrived at Prince Sultan Air Base
• The gesture comes amid rising tensions between Washington and Tehran in the Gulf that have impacted global oil markets
• In a written statement on Friday evening, US Central Command said the deployments to Saudi Arabia had been approved by the Pentagon
Saudi Arabia's King Salman Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud approved the deployment of US troops to the Kingdom to boost regional security and stability, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Friday.
The agency quoted a Saudi Ministry of Defence official as saying that the move is based on joint cooperation between the two countries, and that it seeks to "strengthen regional security and stability" and to "preserve peace".
The ministry tweeted that Saudi Arabia and the United States are "strengthen(ing) their longstanding partnership in (the) face of regional threats."
In Washington, the US Defence Department confirmed the move in a statement, saying it would deploy troops and resources to Saudi Arabia to “provide an additional deterrent” in the face of “emergent, credible threats.”
“This movement of forces provides an additional deterrent, and ensures our ability to defend our forces and interests in the region from emergent, credible threats.
The gesture comes amid rising tensions between Washington and Tehran in the Gulf that have impacted global oil markets.
With Iranian military threats in mind, the US is sending American forces, including fighter aircraft, air defense missiles and likely more than 500 troops, to a Saudi air base that became a hub of American air power in the Middle East in the 1990s.
Senior American defence officials said some US troops and Patriot air defense missile systems have already arrived at Prince Sultan Air Base, south of Riyadh, where the troops have been preparing for the arrival of aircraft later this summer as well as additional troops. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity in order to provide details not publicly announced.
The agreement has been in the works for many weeks and is not a response specifically to Friday’s seizure by Iran of a British tanker in the Arabian Gulf.
Tensions with Iran have spiked since May when the Trump administration said it had detected increased Iranian preparations for possible attacks on US forces and interests in the Gulf area.
In a written statement Friday evening, US Central Command said the deployments to Saudi Arabia had been approved by the Pentagon.
“This movement of forces provides an additional deterrent, and ensures our ability to defend our forces and interests in the region from emergent, credible threats,” Central Command said. “This movement creates improvement of operational depth and logistical networks. US Central Command continually assesses force posture in the region and is working with Kingdom of Saudi Arabia authorities to base US assets at the appropriate locations.”
Putting US combat forces back in Saudi Arabia, after an absence of more than a decade, adds depth to the regional alignment of US military power, which is mostly in locations on the Arabian Gulf that are more vulnerable to Iranian missile attack.
In June, the Pentagon said it would deploy 1,000 troops to the Middle East but did not say where they were going.WAM/SPA
On a day trip scheduled after Iran shot down a US drone, Pompeo flew into the Red Sea city of Jeddah and met with King Salman at his palace.
Britain on Saturday denounced Iran's seizure of a British-flagged oil tanker in the Gulf as a "hostile act" and rejected Tehran's explanation that it seized the vessel because it had been involved in an accident.
Strains have increased between Iran and the United States in the wake of this month's attack on oil tankers in the Gulf region that Washington has blamed on Iran.
The Armed Forces Training Centres and the Federal Police School have received the 12th batch of civil service recruits, comprising 2018-2019 high school and university graduates.
Al Ain City Municipality and Abu Dhabi General Services Company 'Musanada' have commenced construction works of the Asharej and Al Markhaniya roundabout development project in Al Ain city at a total cost of approximately Dhs183 million.
A magistrate speaking to AFP on condition of anonymity said at least 4,000 people were arrested and held under the Public Safety Act (PSA), a controversial law that allows authorities to imprison someone for up to two years without charge or trial.