The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Bainbridge (DDG 96) transiting in the Gulf of Oman. File/ AFP
Iran's borders "represent our red line," the head of the country's powerful Revolutionary Guard warned after Tehran said it shot down a US drone over its waters on Thursday.
Tehran's response to the drone was "a clear message" from the "defenders of the borders" of Iran, said Hossein Salami, quoted by Tasnim news agency.
Iran will "respond to all foreign aggression and our reaction is, and will be, categorical and absolute."
Salami's comments come hours after the Revolutionary Guard said it shot down a US-made surveillance drone in Iranian airspace near the Strait of Hormuz, just a week after attacks on two tankers in the strategic waterway.
"The borders represent our red line," said Salami.
"We declare that we are not looking for war but we are ready to respond to any declaration of war," he added.
The United States has blamed Iran for last week's tanker attacks in the Gulf of Oman, a charge vehemently denied by the Islamic republic.
The video, published on Thursday on the US Central Command's website, purports to show the crew of an Iranian patrol boat removing an object from the hull of a vessel whose markings appear to match archive footage and pictures of the Japanese-owned tanker Kokuka Courageous.
Donald Trump has uttered more than 10,800 lies and false statements since taking office in January 2017. His comments and tweets on why he cancelled a US bombing mission against Iran after it shot down an unmanned drone in the Strait of Hormuz add tactical lies to this number. To explain why he took this action, Trump tweeted, “We were cocked & loaded
Donald Trump appears to have recognised the rising threat of a conflict with Iran when last Thursday he called for Tehran to “call me” and negotiate a “fair deal” to defuse the increasingly perilous situation. He seems to signal that a new agreement on Iran’s nuclear programme would end sanctions
Thirty five persons have been killed due to lightning in various parts of Uttar Pradesh as heavy rains lashed across the state.
As the world marked the 50th anniversary of the first Moon landing, the US space agency said it has doubled down on its next giant leap with the Artemis programme that would take "the first woman and the next man" to the lunar surface.
India moved towards its second tryst with the moon with ISRO's heavy lift rocket - the Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle-Mark III (GSLV-Mk III) - carrying the 3,850 kg Chandrayaan-2 spacecraft, blasting off from the Sriharikota spaceport on Monday afternoon.