Pro-democracy legislators observe a minute of silence in honour of a man who died after falling from a scaffolding at the Pacific Place complex while protesting in Hong Kong, China. Tyrone Siu / Reuters
Members of Hong Kong’s legislature met on Wednesday for the first time since the largest anti-government protest in the city’s history, with many opposition lawmakers slamming the pro-Beijing administration’s handling of the crisis.
Hong Kong has been shaken by a series of massive demonstrations against a proposed law that would have allowed extraditions to mainland China, and the city’s police force has been criticised for using excessive force to disperse protesters.
Videos of police beating unarmed protesters went viral and sparked public anger, and the tactics were widely condemned. Police said force was necessary to fend off protesters throwing bricks and metal bars.
In a tense session, opposition lawmakers grilled Hong Kong’s head of security, John Lee, over the clashes.
Many pro-democracy members of the Legislative Council wore black and carried white chrysanthemums in tribute to a man who fell to his death while protesting the law.
Some placed placards on their desks reading “No China Extradition” and “Withdraw, Withdraw” — referring to the controversial bill.
“We are sad that some people were hurt while expressing their views,” Lee said, as he repeated the government’s apology for the turmoil caused by the bill.
He said police were responding to threats from protesters, but opposition lawmakers ridiculed his comments.
“The police were well-trained, and you have all the gear and you say the police were under threat,” pro-democracy lawmaker Claudia Mo said.
“This is utterly unconvincing.”
An opposition lawmaker was due to introduce a non-binding motion of no-confidence in pro-Beijing chief executive Carrie Lam, but it was not tabled before the session was adjourned until Thursday.
The motion was not expected to pass in the body, which is dominated by Lam’s camp.
Lam suspended the extradition bill after the first mass rally on June 9, and June 12 clashes between police and protesters.
But that failed to quell public anger and protesters staged an even larger rally on Sunday drew over two million people, according to organisers, who demanded the bill be withdrawn and Lam resign.
Lam apologised Tuesday and indicated the law is unlikely to be revived, but did not announce a formal withdrawal and vowed to continue as the city’s leader.
Protesters say they will not relent until their demands are met, but have not yet announced plans for new demonstrations.
“This great chaos is something I don’t want to see,” Andrew Leung, president of the Legislative Council, said outside the chamber, urging the government not to table any divisive bills.
“Maybe we can put aside the political issues for now.”
Opponents of the extradition proposal fear it will entangle Hong Kong people in China’s notoriously opaque and politicised justice system, and threaten those critical of Beijing’s policies.
The city’s formidable business community was also spooked by the law, which they feared would damage Hong Kong’s reputation as a safe business hub.
Authorities said 11 people had been arrested on Saturday on various charges including assault, possession of offensive weapons and unlawful assembly in the northern district of Yuen Long, close to the border with China.
The three-minute video showcases the PLA's tanks, helicopter gunfire, rocket launchers and other military hardware in action in Hong Kong, as well as heavily armed troops performing an anti-terrorism drill.
The once stable international hub has been convulsed by weeks of huge, sometimes violent rallies calling for greater democratic freedoms and police accountability.
Tens of thousands of people defied authorities to march through the streets of the financial hub in an unsanctioned rally on Sunday. But it descended into violence outside the city government's offices in the late afternoon as police battled small groups of radical protesters.
Conditions in Salvadoran prisons have come under greater scrutiny after the government in April released startling photos of hundreds of jailed gang members stripped to underwear and pressed together in formation, drawing strong criticism from human rights groups.
It said there would be no limits on the number of visitors allowed to visit people in their own homes but they must ensure that there is enough space for everyone to keep their distance from each other and make sure there is enough fresh air.
Restrictions will be lifted in three phases, culminating in the curfew completely ending — with the exception of the holy city of Makkah — from June 21, the state news agency reported in a statement early on Tuesday.