The photo has been used for illustrative purposes only.
Seven people have suffocated to death while cleaning a hotel septic tank in western India without safety gear, police said on Saturday.
The hotel owner has been charged with causing death due to negligence following the incident Friday night in Gujarat state’s Vadodara district, a police official said.
Four of those who died had been called to clean the tank while three others were hotel employees who were assisting.
Hundreds of thousands of mostly low-caste Indians are employed as “manual scavengers” who clear underground pipes and septic tanks without any protective gear or masks.
“One person first entered the tank, but when he did not come out and did not respond to calls, three other cleaners went inside to help him,” said Vadodara fire officer Nikunj Azad who was leading the rescue operations.
When all four did not emerge after some time, the three hotel employees entered the tank, all seven of them losing their lives in the process, Azad added.
“Their bodies have been brought out and sent for postmortem,” he said.
Deaths from asphyxiation in sewers full of noxious gases are frequently reported across the country.
Last year five people died in New Delhi while cleaning a sewage treatment tank.
Indian legislators have passed several laws aiming to stamp out the age-old practice of manual scavenging, the latest in 2013.
But many scavengers are still used through sub-contractors, making it difficult for authorities to fix responsibility.
In rural areas, women “scavengers” clean out primitive non-flush toilets with basic tools, although the practice is now on the wane.
There is no official data but independent surveys indicate that some 1,370 lose their lives every year during the hazardous work.
Are presiding officers of the two houses of India’s Parliament trying to shield the Narendra Modi government by raising a firewall against criticism?
India’s ruling Hindu nationalists pushed for final parliamentary approval on Wednesday for a law that critics say undermines the country’s secular constitution by granting citizenship to non-Muslim minorities from three neighbouring countries.
India’s Centre for Environment Education (CEE) is all set to introduce another environmental sustainability certification of Copenhagen-based Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE) in India meant for the hospitality industry — Green Key. On World Environmental Day (5 June), Centre for Environment Education (CEE)
Backed by the Sharjah Chamber of Commerce, the event played host to 500 specialised companies, unveiling the latest and most sought-after designs in watches, jewellery, and gold ornaments from around the world.
The tragedy struck the town of Qaraqosh, in a wedding hall with a capacity of “no more than 400 people,” Interior Minister Amir Al Shammari told a press conference. That night, it held in excess of 900 people, he said.
Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid wished the newly appointed judges success in their new roles and highlighted the importance of constantly enhancing the DIFC’s judicial framework.
The light aircraft, which reportedly belonged to RioZim, crashed in the Zvamahande area of Mashava, killing all six onboard — four foreigners and two Zimbabweans, police said. The mid-air crash is suspected to have been caused by a mechanical fault.