Michael Gove leaves 10 Downing Street in London. File / Hannah McKay / Reuters
One of the leading contenders to replace Theresa May as Britain's next prime minister has admitted to using cocaine two decades ago.
Environment Secretary Michael Gove, who is among the frontrunners to succeed May after she resigned as Conservative Party leader on Friday, said he regretted it.
"About 20 years ago before I was married, I did take drugs," he told the Daily Mail, adding it happened "on several occasions at social events."
"It was something I deeply regret. Drugs damage lives... it was a mistake." The 51-year-old Tory MP said he was "a young journalist" when he decided to take cocaine, and that he had not envisaged going into politics at the time.
"I look back and I think, 'I wish I hadn't done that.' But I don't believe that past mistakes disqualify you," he added.
"Obviously it will be for my colleagues in parliament and members of the Conservatives Party to decide now if I should be leader."
May stepped down as Conservative leader on Friday and formally triggered the race for a successor − currently being contested by Gove and 10 other MPs − but will remain prime minister until a new leader is chosen.
The leader of the party, which won the most seats at the last general election in 2017, automatically becomes prime minister.
The battle is expected to conclude by the end of next month, with former foreign secretary Boris Johnson the bookmakers' favourite to emerge victorious.
Johnson, an ex-London mayor, has previously suggested he may also have tried to use cocaine, but later denied he had actually taken the drug.
Several other candidates, including current foreign minister Jeremy Hunt and ex-Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab, have owned up to using cannabis in their younger days.
England ended their 44-year wait for a first 50-overs world title by beating New Zealand in a nailbiting final Super Over on Sunday.
British Prime Minister Theresa May's final Brexit gambit was in tatters on Wednesday as lawmakers in her own party rejected a compromise offer and called for her to resign immediately.
It is and will always remain a matter of deep regret to me that I have not been able to deliver Brexit
His Highness Dr Sheikh Sultan Bin Muhammad Al Qasimi, Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Sharjah, inaugurated on Wednesday the 22nd edition of Sharjah Islamic Arts Festival, under the theme, ‘Prospect’ organised by the Cultural Affairs Department at the Sharjah Department of Culture, at the Sharjah Art Museum.
The Philippine Embassy ushered in the Spirit of Christmas with the over 300,000 Filipinos in Abu Dhabi and the Western Region in the recent weekend.
The Dubai Criminal Court heard on Wednesday the case of three Asian suspects charged with posting pictures and publications containing phrases offending the Islamic religion and its sanctities via the Facebook and the Instagram.
A delegation consisting of officials from the Educational ministry of Malawi has recently visited the Rashid Centre for People of Determination in Dubai to review the educational and rehabilitation programmes for its over 200 students of determination.