Rodrigo Duterte speaks during a National Heroes Day commemoration at the Libingan ng mga Bayani in Taguig city, Metro Manila in the Philippines. File photo/ Reuters
The Philippines on Saturday rejected a call for an independent United Nations probe into Manila’s alleged human rights violations, describing it as interference in the affairs of the Asian nation.
UN rights experts asked the UN Human Rights Council on Friday to look into the “staggering number of unlawful deaths and police killings in the context of the so-called war on drugs, as well as killings of human rights defenders.”
President Rodrigo Duterte has overseen a narcotics crackdown in which police have killed more than 5,300 suspected drug dealers and users since he was elected three years ago.
Rights groups say the actual number of dead is at least three times higher.
“The latest call by 11 special rapporteurs of the United Nations for an international probe of the Philippines not only is intellectually challenged but an outrageous interference on Philippine sovereignty,” Duterte spokesman Salvador Panelo said in a statement.
He accused the UN experts of “peddling a biased and absolutely false recital of facts, adulterated with malicious imputations against the constituted authorities.”
Panelo also said: “Those who have spoken against the campaign on illegal drugs and human rights record of this president have been overwhelmingly rejected by the Filipino electorate.”
Last month’s midterm polls, held halfway into Duterte’s six-year term, saw his allies take control of both the Senate and the House of Representatives.
The 11 UN experts, who are independent and do not speak for the United Nations, include the special rapporteur on summary or extrajudicial killings, Agnes Callamard.
Callamard earned Duterte’s ire when she called for a stop to the drug war killings in 2016.
Duterte’s drug war is his signature policy initiative and he defends it fiercely, especially from international critics and institutions which he says do not care about the Philippines.
Critics have alleged the crackdown amounts to a war on the poor that feeds an undercurrent of impunity and lawlessness in the country.
The head of a Philippine online news site, among media agencies deemed critical of President Rodrigo Duterte, was arrested again on Friday, this time over an alleged investment violation.
President Rodrigo “Rody” Duterte on Tuesday urged the Filipino people to draw inspiration from the country’s “brave forefathers” who defended the liberty and democracy that they are now enjoying.
China has rejected Philippine allegations that a Chinese fishing vessel abandoned 22 Filipinos after it sank their boat in the South China Sea, as pressure builds on President Rodrigo Duterte to take a tougher line.
Emphasis on the commitment to wear a mask all the time and follow physical distance between the worshipers of at least 1 metre. Mandatory use of personal or single-use rugs. The entry and exit are supervised by the police, and volunteers to prevent crowding and organise prayer.
The service aims to facilitate Hajj procedures, save pilgrims’ times and efforts and enhance their confidence in the efficiency and development of national health procedures.
The new website provides its users with access to more than 200+ e-services for individuals and organisations, that enhances their journey to complete their transactions seamlessly and without the need to physically visit the GCAA premises.
A video of a man crying secretly in his bedroom after his son’s poor performance in maths exam in China’s Zhengzhou has gone viral. It was quite unusual for a father to cry over his child’s exam performance but in this case the father was upset because he had been tutoring his son in maths for a year.