Mercury hits 50ºC in Liwa; Civil Defence save 3 from fire - GulfToday

Mercury hits 50ºC in Liwa; Civil Defence save 3 from fire


The photo has been used for illustrative purposes.

Mohammed Yaseen, Staff Reporter

The National Centre of Meteorology (NMC), indicated that the highest temperature monitored on Saturday was in Mazira area of Liwa city in Al Dhafra, Abu Dhabi.

It reached 50ºC at 3:30 pm, while the lowest was monitored in Rakana area north of Al Ain at 23ºC at 5.45am.

The NCM expects that the weather on Sunday and Monday will be fair to partly cloudy in general, and hazy at times, with the formation of some clouds over some eastern areas by the afternoon.

The weather will be relatively humid by night and early morning over some coastal areas. Light to moderate southwesterly to northwesterly winds, freshening at times over some internal areas, may blow dust and sand, with a speed of 20–32km/hr, reaching 40km/hr. Sea will be slight to moderate in the Arabian Gulf and in Oman Sea.

In the last few days of previous month (May) light to heavy showers were experienced in various areas of the UAE.

The United Arab Emirates is planning to capture every droplet by inducing clouds to produce rain and meet its water needs.

Its weather body, The National Centre of Meteorology (NCM), has been active in cloud seeding operations, due to the accumulation of the abundant convective clouds over the UAE in several areas, specifically in the Eastern and Southern terrain, within the last few days.

Meanwhile, Dubai Civil Defence teams brought under control a fire that broke out in a supermarket in Dubai and rescued three people who had been stuck inside. No casualties were reported as a result of the fire.

According to a Civil Defence source, teams from Al Ras and Al Hamriya Civil Defence stations rushed to the scene of the fire based on a report received by the operations room at 11.33am on Saturday, which signified that a fire erupted in Jesco Supermarket in Al Baraha, Dubai.

The source added that the team could rescue three people who had been stuck inside the supermarket, noting that the fire broke out in the second and third floors and was brought under control within 38 minutes.

Related articles