Lieutenant General Abdel Fattah Al Burhan, the chief of Sudan's ruling military council. File Photo/AFP
Sudan's Transitional Military Council (TMC) said on Tuesday it cancelled all previous agreements with the main opposition coalition and called for snap elections following deadly violence in the capital Khartoum after security forces moved to disperse the main protest camp outside the Defense Ministry.
Talks between the ruling Transitional Military Council (TMC) and the Declaration of Freedom and Change Forces (DFCF) alliance had come to a standstill despite weeks of negotiations.
Despite settling on a three-year transition before elections and the composition of a legislative body, talks over whether civilians or the military will have the upper hand in a sovereign body to lead the country during a three-year transition to democracy were deadlocked.
In his address, Lieutenant General Abdel Fattah Al Burhan said that the coalition was equally responsible for the delay in coming to a final agreement.
Burhan said that elections would be held within nine months.
Security forces stormed a protest camp in the Sudanese capital Khartoum in the early hours of Monday morning and opposition-linked medics said more than 35 people were killed in what is the worst violence since the overthrow of President Omar al-Bashir in April. Burhan promised an investigation into the deadly events.
The latest developments came as the prosecutor general's office said ousted president Omar Al Bashir had been charged over the killings of protesters during anti-regime demonstrations that led to the end of his rule last month.
Heavily armed security forces in pick-up trucks mounted with machine guns were deployed in large numbers all around the capital, while gunshots were heard from the protest site by an AFP journalist.
The "Justice First" marches were called by the Sudanese Professionals' Association, which has been spearheading the protests since December.
Citizens also demanded from animal welfare societies in the Kingdom to honour the young man, who has not yet been identified.
In a circular distributed to all public schools in the UAE, The Emirates Schools Establishment (ESE) said new updated measures will be put into effect as of Monday, Jan.17, 2022, until Friday, Jan.21, 2022.
The Child Safety Department (CSD), an affiliate of the Supreme Council for Family Affairs in Sharjah, has launched an awareness campaign to ensure children remain safe in vehicles on long outdoor trips planned in winter. Targeting all communities, especially parents, the campaign themed ‘Enjoy a Safe Winter’, was launched in collaboration with Sharjah Police via CSD’s social media platforms.