Brenton Tarrant. File photo
New Zealand police have charged the man accused of murder in shootings at two Christchurch mosques in March with engaging in a terrorist act, the first time such a charge had been brought in the country's history, they said on Tuesday.
In an attack broadcast live on Facebook, a lone gunman armed with semi-automatic weapons targeted Muslims attending Friday prayers on March 15, killing 51 worshippers and wounding dozens of people.
Tuesday's charge under terrorism suppression legislation was filed against Brenton Tarrant, police said.
"The charge will allege that a terrorist act was carried out in Christchurch," Commissioner of Police Mike Bush said in a statement.
The charge was the first under New Zealand's terrorism suppression legislation, introduced in 2002, after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks in the United States.
An additional charge of murder and two more charges of attempted murder have also been filed against Tarrant, so that the suspected white supremacist faces a total of 51 charges of murder and 40 of attempted murder.
"The charge will allege that a terrorist act was carried out in Christchurch.
Tarrant's lawyer did not immediately respond to a request from Reuters for comment.
Legal experts said any conviction for engaging in terrorism would not make much practical difference, given murder charges attract a higher maximum penalty, but were likely added to reflect the traumatic impact on those beyond the named victims.
"The terrorism act charge is about recognising the harm to the community and the harmed individuals who were present but who weren't physically injured or killed," Graeme Edgeler, a barrister and legal commentator.
Tarrant is next due to appear in court on June 14, after being remanded in custody in April and ordered to undergo psychiatric assessment to determine if he was fit to stand trial.
Police notified roughly 200 family members of attack victims and survivors about the additional charges at a meeting on Tuesday, police said.
"The terrorism act charge is about recognising the harm to the community and the harmed individuals who were present but who weren't physically injured or killed.
Mohamed Hussein Mostafa, whose father was killed at Al Noor Mosque, said he was glad the event was being treated as a terrorist act, especially given the Muslim community had been often been "vilified" by media and politicians as possible perpetrators of violence since the 9/11 attacks.
"It will cement in people's minds that terrorism has no race or religion," he told Reuters in a Whatsapp message. "I'm happy that he will be made an example of ... so that such an atrocity may never happen again on our shores."
The man accused of shooting dead 51 Muslim worshippers in the Christchurch mosque attacks in March smiled on Friday as his lawyers entered not guilty pleas to multiple murder and terrorism charges.
A lone gunman used a semi-automatic gun to kill worshippers gathered for Friday prayers at two mosques in the city of Christchurch on March 15 last year in New Zealand's worst peace-time shooting.
The royal commission — the most powerful judicial probe available under New Zealand law — called for sweeping changes to counter-terrorism operations in response to the white supremacist attack in which 51 Muslim worshippers died.
Thousands stood in silence in a Christchurch park on Friday as the names of 50 people shot dead in two mosques were read out at a national memorial service, with speakers calling for the legacy of the tragedy to be a kinder, more tolerant New Zealand.
Special Assistant to the Prime Minister on Political Communication Dr Shahbaz Gill held a fiery media conference in which he lashed out at Shirazi for criticising the government’s economic policies in her article.
Sheikh Mohammed exchanged cordial conversations with Simonyte about the bilateral relations between the two countries and ways to advance economic relations towards a new stage that achieves the interests of the two countries and their development aspirations in various fields of common interest, foremost of which are the sectors of advanced technology, innovation, and renewable energy.
This was announced by the Seismology Department of the National Centre of Meteorology (NCM), which monitors earthquake activities in the United Arab Emirates.
Sheikh Mohammed was accompanied during the visit by his sons, Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai, Sheikh Maktoum Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Deputy Ruler of Dubai, Ahmed Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Chairman of the Dubai Media Council, and Sheikh Mansour Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum.