An Ebola health worker is seen at a treatment center in Beni, Eastern Congo.
The UN special representative to DR Congo has blasted rumours that the world body was trying to cash in on an Ebola epidemic that has claimed more than 1,000 lives.
Leila Zerrougui, head of the UN mission to the sprawling central African nation, on Friday visited the eastern city of Butembo where she slammed as "sheer madness" local speculation that "there is no illness, that they want to poison us because they are trying to cash in on us."
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has said additional resources were required to deal with the outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Some UN teams helping to fight the second deadliest Ebola outbreak on record after the epidemic that killed 11,300 people in West Africa in 2014-2016 have come under attack and even been killed.
The epidemic has killed so far 1,105 people of 1,649 declared cases since last August in North Kivu province, where Butembo is located, according to latest official data.
"We are here to work with the authorities but we are also here to say to the people that it is really incredible that those who have come to care for you can be attacked," Zerrougui said in comments reported by UN broadcaster Okapi radio.
Last week, medics said they faced suspicion and hostility in some areas, especially after one of their vehicles was involved in a fatal crash in Butembo, in which a motorbike-taxi rider died.
Resistance to preventive measures
A violent response from the victims' colleagues led to all shops and commercial activity in the city grinding to a halt.
The Ebola fightback had already been hampered by an uptick in insecurity and attacks on medical teams tackling the haemorrhagic fever amid resistance within some communities to preventative measures, care facilities and safe burials.
DR Congo's health minister, Oly Ilunga, has warned that each time the teams are prevented doing their job there is a spike in the number of new Ebola cases and deaths.
Last month also saw the killing of a Cameroonian doctor fighting Ebola in an attack on Butembo hospital.
"We are here to work with the authorities but we are also here to say to the people that it is really incredible that those who have come to care for you can be attacked.
The World Health Organization had initially hoped a new vaccine might help to contain the outbreak.
But in recent weeks senior WHO officials have conceded that insecurity, scarce financial resources and local politicians turning people against health workers had seriously undermined the containment effort.
On Wednesday, attacks by armed assailants left a dozen people dead in Butembo, further undermining the fight against Ebola's spread.
DR Congo anti-Ebola coordinator Justus Nsio insisted the attacks were the "isolated" work of insurgents and that he did not think "the whole community" was trying to undermine anti-Ebola operations.
Several armed groups are active around Butembo and nearby Beni.
On Thursday, the WHO said the outbreak response "continues to be hampered by insecurity," citing a May 3 attack on a burial team in Katwa and then and then the Butembo incidents over the following days.
Two community workers engaged in the Ebola prevention campaign in Democratic Republic of Congo were murdered in the country’s east, which is battling an outbreak
Uganda said on Friday a young girl who tested positive for Ebola after crossing the border from neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) would be sent back to her country for treatment.
Ebola is declared a public health emergency of international concern in Congo. I don’t know how much more is done beyond this declaration, besides the necessary, because nothing much beyond the PHEIC is reported. The point in question is Notre Dame was reported more widely and the donations that poured
The Mohammed Bin Rashid Space Centre (MBRSC) took part in the Dubai Airshow 2019, one of the world’s largest events in the aerospace industry, bringing together the leading aerospace and defence industries regionally and globally, from Nov.17-21.
Since the Quranic Park opened its doors for visitors, every day thousands of people regardless of their nationality have been visiting the unique park and within seven month, the Dubai Municipality has celebrated the arrival of one million visitors. The new milestone makes it one of the most attractive parks for tourists in the region. The success of the project, which cost more than Dhs200 million, comes as a crown among the several successful tourism projects of Dubai Municipality including Dubai Frame, the largest frame structure in the world, which was also visited by two million people.
Residents and visitors of Ajman Marina have witnessed the great success of the Car Boot Sale, organised by Ajman Tourism Development Department (ATDD). A large number of vendors and traders who took part in the sale and attracted a sizeable crowd.