US female officers during an event at a military base. File / Reuters
The Pentagon said there were 6,053 reports of sexual assaults last year, according to an anonymous, bi-annual survey. It is a record number and the highest since the US military began collecting this kind of survey data in 2004.
Taking into consideration unreported cases as well, the military survey estimated 20,500 male and female service members experienced some kind of sexual assault last year. The estimated number in 2016 was 14,900.
Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, a Democratic presidential candidate who has been an advocate for overhauling rules for prosecution of sex crimes in the US military, said the data made clear that it was time for Congress to act.
"sexual assaults continue to increase dramatically while the number of cases going to trial goes down," she said. "The status quo is not working."
The report found that the odds of a military woman between the ages of 17 and 20 being sexually assaulted was one in eight.
"It is time for Congress to stop giving the failing military leadership the benefit of doubt and pass real reform empowering military prosecutors. Enough is enough," said Don Christensen, a retired colonel and former chief Air Force prosecutor who now leads the advocacy group Protect Our Defenders.
The Pentagon said it was going to make changes to deal with the spike.
"To put it bluntly, we are not performing to the standards and expectations we have for ourselves or for each other," acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan said in a memo. "This is unacceptable. We cannot shrink from facing the challenge head on. We must, and will, do better."
In a briefing on Thursday, a senior official told reporters that the Pentagon was looking to make sexual harassment a stand-alone crime.
A senior Pentagon official who oversees US defence policy on Ukraine and Russia testified privately on Wednesday in the Democratic-led US House of Representatives inquiry against Republican President Donald Trump.
The split between the president and his Pentagon chief came amid heightened tensions with Tehran following a US drone strike that killed Gen. Qassem Soleimani, the head of Iran’s elite Quds Force. Trump had twice warned that he would hit Iranian cultural sites if Tehran retaliates against the US.
Derek Chauvin, who was dismissed from the police department with three fellow officers the day after the fatal encounter, was arrested on third-degree murder and manslaughter charges for his role in Monday's death of 46-year-old George Floyd.
The statement by North Korean First Vice Foreign Minister Choe Son Hui came after John Bolton said that Trump might seek another summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un as an "October surprise” ahead of the US presidential election.
Those at Friday's event became violent and threw projectiles at police as they entered an estate at Havelock Close in West London, the police said in a statement.
The blast shoook the ground, said Mohammed Ali, a shopkeeper in the area. At the city's Madina hospital, a nurse, Halima Nur, said it had received five people injured in the blast for treatment.