Palestinians inspect a destroyed Hamas site after it was targeted by an Israeli air strike in Gaza City. File photo/Reuters
Israel said on Thursday its aircraft struck a Hamas military site in the Gaza Strip overnight after balloons carrying firebombs and explosives were launched from the Palestinian enclave.
Following the airstrike, Israel's military said there had been two “launches” — likely rockets — from the Gaza Strip toward Israel.
No further details on the launches were immediately available.
The airstrike hit targets within what Israel's army called a Hamas military compound in the northern Gaza Strip. There had so far been no reports of injuries.
It was unclear if the firebombs and explosives that prompted it caused any damage within Israel.
An Egyptian and UN-brokered ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, the Islamist movement that runs the Gaza Strip, had led to relative calm around Israel's April 9 election.
But on Tuesday, Israel reduced the offshore fishing limit it imposes for vessels operating out of the blockaded strip after a rocket was fired from the territory by Palestinian activists.
The rocket fell into the Mediterranean. Israel's military blamed the launch on Islamic Jihad, which is allied to Hamas.
Israel and Palestinian activists in Gaza have fought three wars since 2008.
Palestinians on Wednesday marked the 71st anniversary of their mass displacement during the 1948 war around Israel's creation with protests across the West Bank and the Gaza Strip.
Warning sirens had cut short a rally by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as he campaigned on the eve of his Likud party's primaries being held on Thursday, public television reported.
The ministry said Ahmed Qura, 23, died "as a result of wounds sustained (from) the Israeli occupation forces' fire" on Friday.
The four suspects were under the influence of alcohol when they assaulted the victim with iron rods that caused fatal injuries.
Twitterati started the trend #JusticeForMadiha with every tweet expressing sorrow and condemnation over the barbaric act.
The latest case is a 37 years old Chinese who was diagnosed during a routine check-up which was conducted as per the World Health Organisation standards.