Sudanese protesters flash the V for victory sign as they man a makeshift barricade in Khartoum on Tuesday. Agence France-Presse
Sudanese protesters on Tuesday called for a mass rally, insisting the army is not serious about handing power to civilians nearly three weeks after it toppled president Omar Al Bashir.
The call came as tensions mounted over the make-up of a new joint civilian-military council to run Sudan, with demonstrators reinforcing their barricades outside the army headquarters in the capital.
The two sides have been at odds over their representation in the council supposed to replace the military body that took power after Bashir’s ouster on April 11 in the face of mass protests against his three-decade rule.
The military has been pushing for a 10-member council including seven military representatives and three civilians.
The disagreements prompted the Alliance for Freedom and Change to announce a “million-strong march on May 2 to assert our main demand, which is for civilian rule”.
“The military council is not serious about handing over power to civilians,” said Mohamed Naji Al Assam, a leader from the Sudanese Professionals Association spearheading the protest movement. “The military council insists that the (joint) council should be military led with civilian representation,” Assam told a news conference, adding the army had been seeking to “expand its powers daily”.
“The international community should support the choices of the Sudanese people.”
Speaking at the same news conference, Madani Abbas Madani, another protest leader, accused the military council of using “escalatory language which does not encourage partnership”.
Their statements came after a top Sudanese general announced the new body would be headed by current military ruler General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan.
The protesters have called the military council headed by Burhan “a copy cat of the toppled regime”.
They want a majority of civilians on a 15-member joint council with seven military representatives.
Adding to the deepening discord, the military council said six security personnel were killed in clashes with protesters across the country on Monday.
“In different incidents, six people from the security forces were killed and 16 wounded,” said the council’s deputy chief Mohammad Hamdan Dagolo, who is widely known as Himeidti.
“There were incidents of burning of markets and looting,” he said, adding protest leaders had told the military council any incident that took place outside the Khartoum sit-in site did not represent them.
Thousands of protesters began massing outside army headquarters in the capital on April 6, demanding that the armed forces back them in ousting Bashir.
Five days later, the army took power through a transitional military council, having deposed Bashir, after months of protests that began with unrest over a tripling of bread prices.
Since then the 10-member council of generals has resisted calls to step down.
But in a breakthrough on Saturday, the two sides agreed to form a joint civilian-military body to pave the way for a civilian government.
The joint council would be an overall ruling body, according to protest leaders, who want a separate transitional civilian administration to run the country’s day-to-day affairs and work towards elections. Late Monday, a Sudanese protest group said the army was trying to remove barricades and disperse the sit-in outside army headquarters.
On Tuesday, several military vehicles loaded with machineguns were deployed in downtown Khartoum, an AFP correspondent reported.
Dozens of protesters staged a demo in the north Khartoum suburb of Bahari against the military council, burning tyres and blocking roads, an AFP reporter said. The Sudanese Professionals Association has urged its supporters to gather at the sit-in and to protect the barricades.
But the military council’s deputy head insisted it was “not against the continuation of the sit-in”.
Lieutenant General Salah Abdelkhalik, also a member of the ruling military council, said the army would “never use violence against protesters”.
Witnesses at the sit-in said protesters were strengthening some of the makeshift roadblocks.
“These barricades are for protecting us. We don’t want any military vehicle to enter the sit-in area. We will not move until we have civilian rule,” a protester told AFP.
The appointment of Lieutenant General Abdel Fattah Al Burhan Abdelrahman as the new head of Sudan’s transitional military council is a step in the right direction and one can now expect the country’s democratic transition to take place in a systematic and peaceful manner.
The planned "million-man" march is seen as a test for protest organisers whose movement has been hit by a deadly June 3 raid on a Khartoum sit-in and a subsequent internet blackout that has curbed their ability to mobilise support.
Activists warned of an attempt to disperse a 10-day-old mass protest outside army headquarters on Monday, as Sudan’s new military rulers came under rising pressure to hand power to a civilian government.
Fifty years after a mighty Saturn V rocket set off from Florida carrying the first humans to the Moon, a veteran of the Apollo 11 crew returned to the fabled launch pad Tuesday to commemorate the event that defined an era.
Pakistan’s airspace has been reopened to civil aviation with immediate effect, its aviation authority said on Tuesday, following months of restrictions imposed in the wake of a standoff
A UAE official said on Tuesday that the oil tanker MT RIAH is not owned by the UAE.
Sharjah Police are still searching for an Indian boy, 15, who has been missing from his parents’ home for 13 days now. The boy did not take any of his personal belongings and left home with only Dhs8 of his daily pocket money, according to the boy’s father.