General Abdel Fattah Al Burhan. File photo
The head of Sudan's ruling military council, General Abdel Fattah Al Burhan, will head a new joint civilian-military council when it is formed, a top general said on Tuesday.
"The head of the sovereign council will be the chief of the transitional military council," Lieutenant General Salah Abdelkhalik told reporters.
The replacement of the current military council with a civilian-led body has been the central demand of protesters who have kept up months of demonstrations since the army toppled veteran strongman Omar al-Bashir on April 11.
Sudanese activists and officials say a diplomatic push by the US and its Arab allies was key to ending a weekslong standoff that raised fears of all-out civil war.
The "Justice First" marches were called by the Sudanese Professionals' Association, which has been spearheading the protests since December.
Hundreds of Sudanese demonstrators marched in the capital on Thursday towards a prominent square to honour comrades killed in the months-long protest movement that has rocked the northeast African country.
The developments made clear that one of President Donald Trump's rationales for withdrawing troops from Syria was not going to come to pass any time soon. "It's time to bring our soldiers back home," he said Wednesday. But they are not coming home.
Dhaka has long wanted to move 100,000 refugees to the muddy silt islet, saying it would take pressure off the overcrowded border camps where almost a million Rohingya live.
Johnson had previously said he would rather be "dead in a ditch" than ask for any extension to the Oct. 31 deadline.