An Afghan man rides on a bicycle past the site of a car bomb attack where US soldiers were killed near Bagram air base, Afghanistan. File photo/Reuters
At least seven people were killed in an attack on the Afghan communications ministry in central Kabul on Saturday, breaking months of relative calm in the capital and underlining the continued security threats despite efforts to open peace talks with the Taliban.
The attack began shortly before midday when a suicide bomb was detonated at the entrance to the multi-storey building housing the ministry in a busy commercial area of the city, followed up by gunfire which could be heard over a mile away.
Among the dead were four civilians and three police officers, while another eight civilians were wounded, a government official said.
"We saw a gunman trying to break open an office door and as we were running out, he was trying to shoot us and he started shouting 'I will kill everyone here'," said Syeda Rashid, an office administrator in the ministry who escaped with several of her colleagues. She said at least six women had been wounded.
Television images showed people fleeing after gunfire and explosions began near the 18-storey government tower.
The area around the building was sealed off by police as at least three attackers battled security forces for several hours before the attack was finally suppressed in the late afternoon, Interior Ministry spokesman Nasrat Rahimi said.
The interior ministry said in a statement that more than 2,800 employees of the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology and the Ministry of Information and Culture were evacuated during the clearance operation.
Several young children and staff at a childcare centre for ministry employees were also evacuated.
"We were having lunch when we heard the explosion," said Rabia, who worked at the childcare centre. "We grabbed the children together into the safe room and just waited till the security forces arrived," she said.
The blast, which security officials said appeared to have been caused by a suicide bomber, was also close to the heavily fortified Serena Hotel, one of the very few Kabul hotels still used by foreign visitors.
The operation marked a return to the kind of complex attacks in an urban centre that have killed hundreds of people in Kabul and other Afghan cities over recent years.
There was no claim of responsibility but the Taliban issued a statement denying any involvement. Many such attacks have been claimed by the Daesh group.
Prior to Saturday's attack, Kabul had been relatively calm as U.S. officials have held a series of meetings with representatives from the Taliban to try to agree the basis for a peace settlement and an end to more than 17 years of war.
While heavy fighting has carried on across Afghanistan and Taliban militants have announced their now customary spring offensive, it had been months since the last major attack on civilian targets in the capital.
The attack, just days after a planned meeting between Taliban officials and Afghan politicians and civil society representatives in Qatar was cancelled, underlined the hurdles facing efforts to reach a peace settlement.
Officials have said they hope to hold a meeting soon but no date has been set.
An Afghan official says an explosion at a coal mine in the northern province of Samangan has killed at least seven miners. Hashim Bayan, a spokesman for the provincial police
A car bomb attack on a convoy of the governor of Afghanistan's southern Logar province killed at least eight Afghan security force members on Sunday morning but left the provincial chief unharmed, local officials said.
Shahpoor Ahmadzai, the spokesman for Logar's provincial police, said the bomber detonated an explosives-packed car close to the governor's convoy on a major highway between Logar and the capital Kabul.
GHAZNI: Around 65 people were killed in a Taliban-claimed attack on an Afghan intelligence base, a local official said Tuesday, raising the toll substantially from 12 announced previously.
"We took about 65 bodies out of the rubble yesterday," Mohammad Sardar Bakhyari, deputy head of the provincial council in Wardak province."
GENEVA: A Yemeni minister has accused Houthi militias of obstructing the UN - sponosred Sweden Agreement by bombing civilians, while impeding the flow of and looting aid convoys within the full view of all international organisations operating in Yemen.
Terming exit polls in the past as “inconsistent” and “incorrect”, the opposition parties on Monday played down the predictions for the Lok Sabha elections, claiming that the actual results to be announced on May 23 would be different.
Twelve young Emirati youth (7 females and 5 males) participated in the prominent Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (Intel ISEF), the largest international pre-college science competition in the world, which took place in Phoenix, Arizona- USA between 12-17 May.
Dubai Cares has committed to contributing Dhs2,938,800 ($800,000) over four years to expand the reach of the International Publishers Association’s (IPA) programmes in Africa, as well as to co-operate on new initiatives with regard to sustainable development, education, and publishing, reports WAM.
Dubai will host 40 global travellers for a ‘one-of-a-kind’ summer extravaganza as part of #BeMyGuest campaign by Dubai’s Department of Tourism & Commerce Marketing (Dubai Tourism). The multi-award-winning programme, featured an exclusive social gamification component, inviting Bollywood icon Shah Rukh Khan, to help him solve clues around the city in a mysterious, 6-part mini-series. With the grand finale of the contest concluding the series at the end of April, 20 winners were awarded the opportunity to experience many iconic attractions, remarkable entertainment and exceptional ‘Only in Dubai’ experiences’ along with a companion this summer for free.