A logo of Facbook displayed at an office wall.
Facebook Inc said on Wednesday it may have "unintentionally uploaded" email contacts of 1.5 million new users since May 2016, in what seems to be the latest privacy-related issue faced by the social media company.
In March, Facebook had stopped offering email password verification as an option for people who signed up for the first time, the company said. There were cases in which email contacts of people were uploaded to Facebook when they created their account, the company said.
"We estimate that up to 1.5 million people's email contacts may have been uploaded. These contacts were not shared with anyone and we are deleting them," Facebook told media, adding that users whose contacts were imported will be notified.
The underlying glitch has been fixed, according to the company statement.
Business Insider had earlier reported that the social media company harvested email contacts of the users without their knowledge or consent when they opened their accounts.
When an email password was entered, a message popped up saying it was "importing" contacts without asking for permission first, the report said.
Facebook has been hit by a number of privacy-related issues recently, including a glitch that exposed passwords of millions of users stored in readable format within its internal systems to its employees.
Last year, the company came under fire following revelations that Cambridge Analytica, a British political consulting firm, obtained personal data of millions of people's Facebook profiles without their consent.
The company has also been facing criticism from lawmakers across the world for what has been seen by some as tricking people into giving personal data to Facebook and for the presence of hate speech and data portability on the platform.
Separately, Facebook was asked to ensure its social media platform is not abused for political purposes or to spread misinformation during elections.
Nearly $20 million went toward security for Zuckerberg and his family, up from about $9 million the year prior. Zuckerberg also received $2.6 million for personal use of private jets, which the company said was part of his overall security programme.
Facebook Inc said it restored services on Sunday after some users could not access its social networking site, photo-sharing network Instagram and messaging app WhatsApp.
In a sign that platforms like Facebook and WhatsApp are emerging as new public square for criminal deception, a study has found that social media fraud increased 43 per cent in 2018.
Not to express sympathy for Mark Zuckerberg, but Facebook has reached the point where it just cannot win. Ever. Period. On Thursday, the company announced that it was permanently banning a handful of people who had used Facebook and its subsidiary Instagram to push reprehensible notions into the world.
Terming exit polls in the past as “inconsistent” and “incorrect”, the opposition parties on Monday played down the predictions for the Lok Sabha elections, claiming that the actual results to be announced on May 23 would be different.
Twelve young Emirati youth (7 females and 5 males) participated in the prominent Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (Intel ISEF), the largest international pre-college science competition in the world, which took place in Phoenix, Arizona- USA between 12-17 May.
Dubai Cares has committed to contributing Dhs2,938,800 ($800,000) over four years to expand the reach of the International Publishers Association’s (IPA) programmes in Africa, as well as to co-operate on new initiatives with regard to sustainable development, education, and publishing, reports WAM.
Dubai will host 40 global travellers for a ‘one-of-a-kind’ summer extravaganza as part of #BeMyGuest campaign by Dubai’s Department of Tourism & Commerce Marketing (Dubai Tourism). The multi-award-winning programme, featured an exclusive social gamification component, inviting Bollywood icon Shah Rukh Khan, to help him solve clues around the city in a mysterious, 6-part mini-series. With the grand finale of the contest concluding the series at the end of April, 20 winners were awarded the opportunity to experience many iconic attractions, remarkable entertainment and exceptional ‘Only in Dubai’ experiences’ along with a companion this summer for free.