Fire and smoke rise at an explosion site in Yancheng in China's eastern Jiangsu province. File/AFP
Police have detained six more suspects linked to a chemical plant blast in eastern China last month which killed 78 and left hundreds injured, local authorities said.
The explosion in Jiangsu province's Yancheng city last month was one of the worst industrial accidents in the country in recent years and led to the closure of the plant.
Six employees from the Jiangsu Tianjiayi Chemical company, whose plant was involved in the blast, have "major responsibilities" in relation to the incident, the Yancheng government said Saturday in a brief statement on its official Twitter-like Weibo account.
It said that "criminal coercive measures" have been taken against them -- a vague term which indicates detention, arrest or being put under temporary house arrest until police complete investigations, according to an explanation on the Chinese parliament's website.
Three others had also earlier been detained in connection with the blast.
The statement added that measures will also be taken against Jiangsu Tianjiayi Chemical, as well as its controlling shareholder, the Jiangsu Nijiaxiang Group.
The March 21 explosion razed an industrial park and blew out the windows of surrounding homes.
The company, with 195 employees, was established in 2007 and mainly produces raw chemical materials including anisole, a highly flammable compound.
It has a history of violating environmental regulations, according to online records from Yancheng city's environment and ecology bureau.
In 2015 and 2017, the firm was fined for breaking rules on solid and water waste management.
Deadly industrial accidents are common in China, where safety regulations are often poorly enforced.
In November, a gas leak at a plant in the northern Chinese city of Zhangjiakou -- which will host the 2022 Winter Olympics -- killed 24 people and injured 21 others.
In 2015, China saw one of its worst industrial accidents when giant chemical blasts in the northern port city of Tianjin killed at least 165 people.
Horton, who took silver behind Sun at the weekend, refused to step onto the top step of the podium for photos after the medal ceremony in Gwangju, as doping allegations swirl around Sun.
American Caeleb Dressel swam the second-fastest 100m freestyle in history to retain his world title on Thursday as China lashed out at the anti-doping protests targeting Olympic star Sun Yang.
President Xi Jinping has vowed to make China a footballing force and is prepared to go to great lengths to do it, sending thousands of toddlers to “Football-focused” kindergartens.
A second grand prix — most likely on the streets — would complement the existing one on the $450 million Shanghai International Circuit. No country currently has two Formula One races, although F1 officials are negotiating for a second grand prix in the United States.
The Ministry of Community Development participated in the 13th Edition of Souq Okaz at Al Taif, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, as part of the UAE pavilion being supervised by the Ministry of Culture and Knowledge Development, in cooperation with the UAE Embassy at the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The exhibition continues till 31st August.
The long hard slog of study and revision, followed by nail-biting anticipation, is over for the current cohort of students across the UAE as its schools have recorded another successful year of IGCSE and GCSE results after a round of challenging examinations.
In a beautiful gesture, the Dubai Police’s Esaad Card Committee has gifted a Saudi child, Zayed, who was born in the Emirate of Sharjah, a special edition of the discount card.
Members of administrative, teaching and technical staffs of the state schools will start duty on Sunday (August 25). While students will begin the new school year (2019-2020) in all the public schools, as well as the private schools, kindergartens and adult education that follow the Ministry of Education’s curricula next week (September 1).