The Pentagon notified the US Congress on Monday that it has authorised $1 billion for new border wall construction at the US-Mexico border. File photo/ AFP
WASHINGTON: Acting Pentagon chief Patrick Shanahan said on Monday he had authorized $1 billion to build part of the wall sought by President Donald Trump along the US-Mexico border.
The Department of Homeland Security asked the Pentagon to build 57 miles (92 kilometers) of 18-foot (5.5-meter) fencing, build and improve roads, and install lighting to support Trump’s emergency declaration as concerns the border.
Shanahan “authorized the commander of the US Army Corps of Engineers to begin planning and executing up to $1 billion in support to the Department of Homeland Security and Customs and Border Patrol,” a Pentagon statement read.
The acting defense secretary defended the move by citing a federal law that he said “gives the Department of Defense the authority to construct roads and fences and to install lighting to block drug-smuggling corridors across international boundaries of the United States in support of counter-narcotic activities of federal law enforcement agencies.”
The statement was released just hours before Shanahan was due to testify in Congress to present and defend the Pentagon’s draft budget.
Frustrated by Congress’s refusal to provide the budget he sought to build a border wall, Trump declared a national emergency last month in order to bypass lawmakers to unlock $8 billion in funding.
The move drew condemnation from both the president’s rival Democrats and fellow Republicans, who warned it was an abuse of presidential powers and created a dangerous precedent.
George Papadopoulos, the first Trump campaign aide charged in Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia investigation, disavowed his guilty plea in a book released on Tuesday, claiming he was unfairly pressured into cutting a deal.
Even though Mueller’s findings on obstruction of justice were inconclusive, US Attorney General William Barr said in a summary released on Sunday that Mueller’s team had not found enough proof to warrant bringing charges against Trump.
Moscow would be happy to mend ties with Washington after a report by US Special Counsel Robert Mueller found no evidence of collusion between Donald Trump’s campaign and Russia in the 2016 election, a senior Russian lawmaker said on Monday.
The rapidly changing global communications landscape reinforces the need to create an enabling environment to develop and maintain effective government communication as it influences the reputation of governments and organisations in the international arena, said Chairman of Sharjah Media Council (SMC) Sheikh Sultan Bin Ahmed Al Qasimi.
The debut Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Tolerance Award was presented to three individuals from different parts of the world recognising their outstanding efforts in strengthening the cause of humanitarianism at a glittering ceremony held in Dubai on Wednesday.
UAE residents and tourists have opportunities to learn about Indonesian history and culture as the Sharjah Institute for Heritage (SIH) opened the doors of the decades-old Bait Sheikh Sultan Bin Saqer Al Qasimi Al Gharbi House in Rolla on Tuesday evening for the “Republic of Indonesia Heritage Week.”