The livestream lasting 17 minutes was shared extensively on YouTube and Twitter, and internet platforms had to scramble to remove videos being reposted of the gruesome scene.
PARIS: The French Council of the Muslim Faith (CFCM) said on Monday it was suing internet giants Facebook and YouTube for allowing the public broadcast of a live video by the man who carried out the New Zealand mosque massacre this month.
The council said it was suing the French branches of the two tech giants for "broadcasting a message with violent content abetting terrorism, or of a nature likely to seriously violate human dignity and liable to be seen by a minor," according to the complaint, a copy of which was seen by AFP.
In France, such acts can be punished by three years' imprisonment and a 75,000 euro ($85,000) fine.
Facebook said it "quickly" removed the live video showing the killing of 50 people by a white supremacist in twin mosque attacks in Christchurch on March 15.
But the livestream lasting 17 minutes was shared extensively on YouTube and Twitter, and internet platforms had to scramble to remove videos being reposted of the gruesome scene.
The CFCM, which represents several million Muslims in France, said it took Facebook 29 minutes after the beginning of the broadcast to take it down.
Major internet platforms have pledged to crack down on the sharing of violent images and other inappropriate content through automated systems and human monitoring, but critics say this is not working.
Internet platforms have cooperated to develop technology that filters child pornography, but have stopped short of joining forces on violent content.
A US congressional panel last week called on top executives from Facebook and YouTube, as well as Microsoft and Twitter, to explain the online proliferation of the "horrific" New Zealand video.
The panel, the House Committee on Homeland Security, said it was "critically important" to filter the kind of violent images seen in the video.
Christchurch police launched an urgent investigation on Wednesday to find out whether a man who died after an early morning stand-off with armed officers had links to mosque attacks which killed 50 people.
Syed Areeb Ahmed was among nine Pakistanis who were killed on March 15 when a white supremacist shot people inside two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand.
The body of an Indian student killed in the Christchurch mosque attacks was returned on Monday to her grieving family in Kochi, where relatives remembered a bright young woman dedicated to her studies.
The Ports Police Station of the Dubai Police issued 721 violations against beachgoers for flouting Resolution No. 38 of 2020 issued by the Attorney General of the United Arab Emirates on enforcement of penalties for violations following Cabinet Resolution No. 17 of 2020 to contain the spread of the coronavirus, COVID-19.
The Dubai Criminal Court ruled that a European woman, 19, be sentenced to two years in jail and fined Dhs50,000 to be followed by deportation after being convicted of importing over 4 kilogrammes of narcotics via Dubai Airports.
The Dubai Criminal Court sentenced a Gulf citizen to one year in jail to be followed by deportation. The Gulf citizen was convicted of stealing Dhs1 million from an Asian by coercion in a fake bag deal.