Photo used for illustrative purposes.
Some classics are hard to resist,” says Maunika Gowardhan, author of Tandoori Home Cooking.
“This tandoori chicken tikka has been a constant in my cooking repertoire for as long as I can remember. I use the double marination technique here.
“Of course, you can grill the skewers without doubling up on the marinade to coat the chicken at the end — it will turn out just as tasty.”
Tandoori chicken tikka
You will need wooden skewers soaked in cold water for 30 minutes
640g boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
Butter, for basting and cooking
Juice of ½ lime
Generous pinch of chaat masala
For the marinade:
3 garlic cloves
2.5cm ginger root, peeled
6 tbsp Greek yoghurt
2 heaped tsp chickpea flour
1½ tsp Kashmiri chilli powder.
¼ tsp garam masala
2 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp saffron strands, crushed
1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi), crushed
Pinch of sugar
Salt, to taste
2. Put two tablespoons of the marinade in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Add the chicken to the bowl and mix well to make sure each piece is coated in the thick marinade. Cover the bowl and leave to marinate in the fridge for two to three hours, or preferably overnight.
4. Preheat the grill to a medium heat. Line a baking tray with foil and place a wire rack over the tray.
5. Thread the chicken pieces onto the soaked wooden skewers and place them on the wire rack. Place the tray under the grill and cook for 17-18 minutes. Turn the skewers halfway through the cooking time and baste with the melted butter until the chicken is lightly charred around the edges and cooked through.
6. Meanwhile, transfer the reserved marinade to a small frying pan. Place over a medium heat and cook, stirring continuously, for five minutes until the marinade reduces and thickens. Add two teaspoons of butter and turn off the heat. Transfer the cooked marinade to a bowl.
7. Take the chicken off the skewers and add it to the bowl with the marinade along with the lime juice and chaat masala. Stir well to make sure the chicken is evenly coated. Serve warm with salad and naan or roti.
You probably haven’t been inundated with zucchini yet because it’s too early in the season for friends and neighbours to be pawning off summer’s most bountiful backyard garden crop.
Make it an Italian dinner night to remember by rustling up appetising canapés and silky spaghetti, all studded with the flavour bomb of a cheese, Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Here’s a way to spice up your Memorial Day burgers using Moroccan-style spices. Ground cumin, ground cinnamon, fresh mint and parsley may seem unusual additions to burgers, but they add an intriguing flavor to them.
Conan, a six-month-old stray, joined the security team of the Worldwide Corporate Center in the capital Manila several months ago. He is one of the lucky moggies unofficially adopted by security guards across the city, where thousands of cats live on the street.
The Apple CEO is in London at the end of a whirlwind European tour to meet with app developers that he hopes will be among the first to realise his ambitions for the Vision Pro.
Galiegue, who started to collect cars at age 21, said one of his top pieces is one of two remaining 1970s Chevrolet Chevelle Malibus that Ryan Gosling drove in the 2011 action film "Drive".