Photo used for illustrative purpose.
Saleha Irfan, Senior Sub-Editor/Reporter
If you are a brand new dad but have never babysat a day in your life and have no clue how to handle a newborn, here are some suggestions:
1. First thing to do is just observe your baby and let yourself be amazed by this tiny human being. These days will be gone before you know it so just allow yourself to be marvelled by the little things your baby does.
2. Talk to your baby. Yes, they won’t understand anything you say but don’t let that stop you. The more your baby hears you speak, the easier they will get to know the rhythm of the language.
3. Babies love to be carried around so start walking.
4. Change their diapers as much as you can. It may seem like a task but it is one of the most underrated bonding experiences. In the first month, a baby needs to be changed almost every two hours so you can get a lot of one-on-one time with your baby. Never changed a diaper before? Worry not! Diaper changing is an acquired skill so in a few days’ time you will become a pro at it.
5. Read to your baby as much as you can. Try and do something new with your baby every day, whether it’s talking, rocking them, rubbing their belly, tickling them. Just have fun.
To ensure your baby gets the most out of playtime, here are some additional tips:
* Follow your baby’s cue
If they cry or seem bored, stop what you’re doing. Your baby might get too fussy or irritated with too much playing so limit your sessions to five minutes or less.
* Show encouragement
Use smiles and laughter to encourage your baby. They won’t understand the words, but they can sense the feelings. And the more encouragement you show, the better it will build the baby’s self-confidence as they grow.
* Be supportive and gentle
A baby’s head is relatively large but their neck muscles haven’t developed well yet so their head is pretty floppy the first few months. Make sure you support their head from behind at all times and avoid any sudden movements.
If your child is aggressive towards his or her siblings, peers and classmates, there are ways to handle them. Giving them three chances, or sending them to their room, are some of the approaches that work.
Most new parents have no clue how to change a baby’s diaper. If you too are unsure about how to go about it, this easy guide is sure to help you.
Follow these tips to learn how to care for your little one's skin in the summer and subsequently protect them from rashes and skin diseases.
In the viral clip the zookeeper weighs little Fu Bao on a scale and then places the baby panda on the floor in an enclosure at the Everland Zoo near Seoul.
The Royal Gold Biryani is available at Bombay Borough, an Indian eatery at DIFC.
The actor-cum-model's video, where she plays a celebrity and is stopped by a 'traffic policeman,' has gone viral.