Tres Leches cakes in a jar come in a range of flavours.
Mitchelle D'Souza, Sub-editor/Reporter
The coronavirus pandemic has seen a lot of people pause to reflect on their mundane lives and chase their creative pursuits.
Among this tribe of dream chasers is an Emirati mother-daughter duo — UAE-based entrepreneur Oulfat Lkorchy and her 14-year-old daughter Hur Almualla — who used the lockdown to their advantage by debuting their very own dessert brand named Tresleches.DXB.
The pair crafts luscious Tres Leches cakes — it literally translates to cake of three milks — but with a nifty spin — in jar form!
Drenched in three milks, usually sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk and heavy cream, this rich dessert comes topped with a dollop of cream frosting.
While traditionally the Tres Leches cake is devoid of any flavours and is spiked with just a hint of vanilla, Oulfat and Hur have taken it to the next level by infusing it with an assortment of different flavours.
These flavours include The Original (vanilla flavoured), Nutty Ella (a combination of hazelnut and chocolate), Kristoff the Biscoff (Lotus biscuits with notes of cinnamon and maple syrup), Red Gold (infused with spices and saffron), Crimson Petals (drenched in fragrant rose nectar with a dash of cardamom) and Pistachino (pistachio flavoured).
The newly launched dessert brand is now open for deliveries in the UAE, allowing you to dive into a whole world of Tres Leches cakes. Orders can be placed on Zomato, Chatfood or www.instagram.com/tresleches.dxb (delivery by the brand itself).
Starting at Dhs25 per jar (depending on the flavour), the cakes are also available in combo price packs (price of 2, 4 and 6).
But in the meanwhile, you can whip up your very own, easy-to-make Tres Leches cake with the recipe below.
So are you ready to indulge in the sweet goodness?
TRES LECHES CAKE
5 eggs separated
1 cup caster sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1 1/5 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
Milks for soaking:
1 can condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Sift the flour with the baking powder and set aside.
3. Whip the egg whites with 1/4 sugar to soft peak stage.
4. Mix egg yolks and vanilla and 3/4 cup sugar. Beat till it doubles in size, then add the milk and the flour. Fold the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture.
5. Pour in a Pyrex and bake for 30 minutes. Insert a skewer to check for doneness. If it comes out clean the cake is ready.
6. Blend and reserve the milks till the cake is cool, then soak the cake completely. Keep in the refrigerator for at least six hours.
1. In a stand mixer, mix 500ml of whipping cream with 7tbsp of powdered sugar and beat till firm and stiff.
2. Take the cake out of the fridge after it completely absorbs all the liquid and decorate with the whipping cream mixture.
For a Pistachio Tres Leches Cake:
1. Add 200g of ground pistachios to the batter.
2. Add 4tbsp of 100 per cent pistachio paste to the milk mixture and blend.
The classic American dessert of gooey butter cake, which originated from the state of St Louis, is buttery, sweet, crunchy and creamy, all in the same bite.
The United Arab Emirates’ unflinching faith in the Prophet — who took the entire civilisational process under his wing and made it bow to God’s ways — set the ethical tone of the country. It couldn’t have gone wrong. And it didn’t.
Follow this recipe of Panforte Tradizionale, Italy’s medieval-era fruitcake with a peppery kick. Panforte is said to be invented in Siena and is filled with nuts, dried fruits and spices.
Almost a quarter said they had extracted the funds to pay for increasingly expensive food shops, one in four said they had done so to help pay for exorbitant energy bills, while 6 per cent said they used their children’s savings to pay for travel.
A video clip went viral on the social networking sites of an Indian young man delivering food orders on a horseback amid heavy rains in Mumbai, India.
The patient is a 54 year old woman who came to me for diagnosis of laryngeal cancer. She had a voice change two years ago, went to doctors and received treatment, but during the Covid19 pandemic the follow-up did not continue.