Brighten up your meal with this colourful Asian bowl
05 May 2020
This photo is used for illustrative purpose.
Gulf Today Report
If you are in the mood for a healthy and crunchy snack, this Asian bowl will be perfect for you. It is quite easy to make and very light to eat. It is colourful and is bound to brighten up your meal with very little effort.
It is so easy that the only real effort it requires is microwaving some rice. If you don’t have all of the ingredients listed in the recipe below, just use alternatives. Substitute whatever vegetables or cooked meat, even deli meat you have using the proportions given in the recipe. The dressing recipe is easy and quick, but you can use a bought ginger or Asian-flavoured dressing, too.
— If you don’t have cabbage, you can use bok choy instead.
— Use a bowl about 8 inches in diameter. If a large bowl isn’t available, arrange the ingredients on a dinner plate.
— The recipe can be made ahead and refrigerated. Bring it to room temperature and add the dressing before serving.
— Use the leftover chicken from the rotisserie chicken for another meal or chicken salad.
1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 tablespoon honey
1/2 tablespoon grated fresh ginger or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 cups cabbage, thinly sliced
1 cup sliced cucumber with skin
1 cup red bell pepper strips, cut lengthwise into strips
1 cup frozen or fresh shelled edamame
1/2 pound rotisserie chicken breast or dark meat, skin and bones removed, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup brown microwaveable rice
1 cup snow peas
1/4 cup unsalted peanuts
1/3 cup sliced scallions
1. Mix soy sauce, sesame oil, honey and ginger together in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Microwave rice according to package instructions, measure 1 cup. Save remaining rice for another meal. Set aside.
3. Divide the cabbage between 2 large bowls. Divide the remaining ingredients including the rice in half to place in the two bowls. Add the cucumber slices to one side of the bowl.
4. Place the red bell pepper strips and cucumbers, moving in a circle around the bowl. Add the edamame, rice and snow peas completing the circle. Add the chicken cubes to the centre.
5. Drizzle the dressing over the bowl ingredients. Sprinkle the peanuts and scallions on top.