Models present creations from the Roksanda collection during London Fashion Week. File
Gulf Today Report
The next London Fashion Week (LFW) is going to be held entirely online for the first time in the event’s 40-year history, its organisers have announced.
On Tuesday, the British Fashion Council (BFC) confirmed that a new version of LFW is being launched during the previously scheduled dates for London Fashion Week: Men’s – which was due to take place between 12 and 14 June 2020 – in light of the coronavirus pandemic.
Instead of physical shows, the event will be completely digital, with content such as interviews, podcasts and digital showrooms rolling out on londonfashionweek.co.uk.
The BFC has also confirmed that the new version of LFW will be open to everyone, welcoming both industry insiders and fashion consumers.
“It is essential to look at the future and the opportunity to change, collaborate and innovate,” said Caroline Rush, chief executive of the BFC.
“The current pandemic is leading us all to reflect more poignantly on the society we live in and how we want to live our lives and build businesses when we get through this. The other side of this crisis, we hope will be about sustainability, creativity and product that you value, respect, cherish.
“By creating a cultural fashion week platform, we are adapting digital innovation to best fit our needs today and something to build on as a global showcase for the future.”
Rush continued by explaining that the new format will allow designers to share their stories and collections with a wider global community.
“We hope that as well as personal perspectives on this difficult time, there will be inspiration in bucketloads,” Rush added. “It is what British fashion is known for.”
LFW is not the first fashion week to be turned into an online-only event.
In April, Shanghai held a digital fashion week, while Tokyo opted to livestream its fashion week shows in March. However, the BFC’s decision will make London the first city on the major fashion circuit to adopt an exclusively digital model.
A series of industry events have been affected by coronavirus in recent weeks.
Last month, Prada announced that it had decided to postpone its Cruise 2021 show, which was scheduled to take place on 21 May in Tokyo, due to coronavirus fears.
Gucci has also confirmed that it will not be going ahead with its Cruise 2021 show, which was due to take place on 18 May in San Francisco.
A spokesperson for Gucci said the brand’s decision was in light of “the ongoing uncertainty prompted by the coronavirus outbreak” and that is was “a precautionary measure”.
“A decision on the new timing and location of the show will be announced at a later date, once the situation becomes clearer,” the statement continued.
For the first time since it was conceived in 1983, there will be no models parading new collections before crowds at the biannual event.
Ralph Lauren Corp said on Tuesday it would cut 15% of its global workforce by the end of this fiscal year as the luxury retailer strives to lower costs and ride out the impact of COVID-19 on sales and shopping habits.
Lip-reading suddenly got tricky when everyone covered their face during the coronavirus pandemic, but Indonesian tailors have hit upon the perfect solution -- see-through masks.
Staying at home all day is rubbish, so people around the world are dressing up to take the bins out and sharing photos of their outfits online to cheer up others in lockdown.
Among the most expensive items on Hilton's wishlist is a $500 Hermes platter, a $985 Christofle party tray, a $1,000 crystal caviar server with a spoon, and a $4,885 Baccarat vase.
The pair discovered the owl, of which there have been no confirmed sightings since the 1870s, during its daytime roost earlier this month.
The 16-year-old raided her mother’s closet and wore the shimmery silver dress by Elie Saab Couture, which Jolie wore during the 2014 Academy Awards.