Pumpkin parfait. TNS
Fall is full swing with Thanksgiving almost upon us. So, in order to spice up your seasonal dishes, here are two pumpkin recipes perfect for your fall dinner parties.
Use leftover pumpkin in a parfait to minimise wasting food.
1 envelope unflavoured gelatine
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3 eggs, separated
3/4 cup milk
1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin or home-cooked thick pumpkin puree
1/2 pint heavy cream
1. In a medium saucepan thoroughly stir together the gelatine, 1/4 cup of the sugar, the salt, allspice, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
2. In a small mixing bowl beat together the egg yolks and milk until combined; gradually stir into gelatine mixture.
3. Add pumpkin and mix well. Place over low heat and stir constantly until gelatine dissolves, about 5 minutes.
4. Chill, stirring occasionally, until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon. In a medium mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually beat in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and continue to beat, if necessary, until stiff peaks form; fold into pumpkin mixture.
5. In a small mixing bowl without washing beater, beat cream until stiff. In parfait glasses alternate layers of pumpkin mixture and cream
6. Chill 2 or 3 hours before serving. Garnish, if desired, with extra whipped cream and finely chopped nuts.
In the 1980s, more savoury pumpkin recipes started popping up, like this soufflé.
2 cups pumpkin puree
3 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons minced parsley
3 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon basil
1 clove garlic, chopped or pressed
1/3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1. Combine pumpkin and eggs. Add remaining ingredients.
2. Pour into buttered 1 1/2-quart casserole and bake at 350 degrees until lightly browned about 30 to 45 minutes.Tribune News Service
Even though water is best for quenching thirst at Iftar but it can get quite boring. Instead, try these tasty and healthy alternatives to hydrate yourself.
Who says you have to decide between your two favourite desserts? If you like pudding and cake, you most certainly will love this raspberry pudding cake.
These delicious and elegant custard tarts, called pasteis de nata, are crunchy on the outside and sweet and creamy on the inside — a decadent treat to sink your teeth into.
In the heart of disputed Western Sahara, a former garrison town has become an unlikely tourist magnet after kitesurfers discovered the windswept desert coast was perfect for their sport.
The medication can help lessen symptoms and shorten the amount of time of the illness. It is especially important for those who are at high risk of developing complications from the flu virus.
Of the 1.2 million people who visited Serbia in the first eight months of this year, the Chinese dominated with 92,000 arrivals, or more than five times the number for all of 2016.