Fresh summer fruit is the perfect topping for creamy lemon bars. TNS
A pan of dessert bars can have a loaves-and-fishes effect at any party: They’re nice cut into big bars, but they can be sliced smaller if extra friends show up. (If you try that with a pie, you’ll just end up with a mess on your hands.)
These recipes come together quickly and work well for entertaining, because they can be made ahead of time and require no serving utensils — they’re best eaten out of hand. They’re also great for toting to picnics, potlucks or just eating in your own backyard this summer.
LABNEH LEMON BARS
Labneh is a thick unsweetened Middle Eastern yogurt, and it gives these bars a flavor and texture between cheesecake and lemon bars. You can find it in many supermarkets and in Middle Eastern groceries.
45 minutes, plus cooling and chilling. Makes 2 dozen.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups packed powdered sugar
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
4 large lemons
4 large eggs
1 container (16 ounces) labneh
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom and sides of a 13-by-9-inch cake pan with foil, leaving overhang on all sides, and lightly coat the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Whisk the flour, half a cup powdered sugar and three-quarters of a teaspoon of salt in a large bowl. Add the butter, toss to coat, and press into the dry ingredients using a pastry cutter or your fingers until fine crumbs form. Or, use a food processor and pulse the dry ingredients until mixed, then pulse in the butter until fine crumbs form. Scatter the crumbs evenly across the bottom of the prepared pan and press firmly into the bottom in an even layer. Bake until the crust is golden brown, 15 to 17 minutes.
3. While the crust bakes, make the filling: Finely grate one tablespoon zest from the lemons into a large bowl, then squeeze half a cup of juice into the bowl. (You may not need all four lemons.) Add the eggs, labneh, remaining three-quarters cup of powdered sugar and remaining quarter teaspoon salt and whisk slowly until smooth. You don’t want to create too many tiny bubbles while whisking or the top will look cratered after baking.
4. Remove the pan from the oven, pour the lemon filling over the hot crust and return the pan to the oven. Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees. Bake until set around edges and barely jiggly in the center, 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Cool the bars completely on a wire rack, then refrigerate until firm, at least two hours. Using the overhanging foil, lift and slide the bars onto a cutting board and cut into 24 bars.
Sometimes it’s absolutely imperative to go and have yourself checked out. It doesn’t matter if you do not exhibit symptoms of anything. Even if you feel 100 per cent well you should still have yourself checked out. Recently a British television journalist was diagnosed with colon cancer even though he felt absolutely fine and showed no sign or symptoms. The only reason it was discovered was because he went and had his annual physical.
The United Arab Emirates’ unflinching faith in the Prophet — who took the entire civilisational process under his wing and made it bow to God’s ways — set the ethical tone of the country. It couldn’t have gone wrong. And it didn’t.
Children are the most vulnerable in our society. They are impressionable and will believe anything people tell them. They are enticed by colours, sounds, tastes and even by the way something smells.
It’s sad, the food crises in Somalia. The arid nature of the region coupled with draught makes the lives of the inhabitants a literal living hell. Humanitarian aid cannot reach fast enough and to the most deserving. While some humans in some parts of the world are actively engaged in raping the environment
Fifty years ago, American astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans in history to set foot on the moon, an event watched on television by half a billion people.
It does not usually make it into the spotlight but the humble back is always there, yet almost never seen in fashion images, forgotten amid the focus on the front and faces.
If you think watching pornographic material in the "incognito" mode will not let anyone know, you are mistaken.