Erin McKenna's Chocolate Chip Cookies in process. TNS
Genevieve Ko, TNS
From the recipe by Erin McKenna of the eponymous bakery, these cookies have the crunchy edges of classic chocolate chip. The cookies taste extra rich from a generous proportion of coconut oil and with vanilla fragrance.
VEGAN GLUTEN-FREE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
2 hours, largely unattended. Makes about 3 1/2 dozen.
2 3/4 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
1 cup organic cane sugar
1/4 cup arrowroot starch
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 cup refined coconut oil, melted
6 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup vegan gluten-free chocolate chips
1. Whisk together the flour, sugar, arrowroot starch, xanthan gum, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Add the coconut oil, applesauce and vanilla extract and stir with a spoon until smooth. Fold in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes and up to one day.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 325 degrees. Line 3 large baking sheets with parchment paper (or work in 3 batches).
3. Using a measuring tablespoon or a half-ounce cookie scoop, drop spoonfuls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. Using the bottom of a glass, press gently on each dough ball to flatten it into a one-third-inch-thick round. Repeat with the remaining dough balls.
4. Working with one sheet at a time, bake the cookies for 10 minutes, then rotate the pan and bake until golden brown, about 4 minutes longer.
5. Let cool completely on the sheets on wire racks, at least 30 minutes. The cookies need to cool completely before handling or they will break.
Make Ahead: The cookies will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
The fungus known locally as "Terfas" is the only thing, besides some wild grass, that grows under the desert sands nurtured by the combined effect of rain and cold temperatures at night.
The various types of flours available in the market are bound to confuse anyone who wanders down that particular supermarket aisle. Read on to find out the healthiest to pick.
Even though water is best for quenching thirst at Iftar but it can get quite boring. Instead, try these tasty and healthy alternatives to hydrate yourself.
The work by artist Meredith Bergmann will break what some call the "bronze ceiling" in the 166-year-old park — the lack of sculptures honoring women, discounting fictional characters like Mother Goose and Alice in Wonderland.
Chores help children learn responsibility and sharing tasks gives you help around the house. Follow these simple tips to get your children to lend you a helping hand.
It is this training methodology that is followed in Symmetry Gym Dubai, an exclusive training studio in the UAE where members train hard for serious results.