Workers are seen near pumpjacks at a China National Petroleum Corp (CNPC) oil field in Bayingol, Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region, China. Reuters
China National Petroleum Corp has halted August loadings of Venezuelan oil following the latest set of US sanctions on the South American exporter, two Beijing-based senior sources with direct knowledge of the matter told Reuters on Monday.
The Trump administration in early August froze all Venezuelan government assets in the United States and US officials ratcheted up threats against companies that do business with Venezuela.
A CNPC spokesman did not immediately respond to Reuters' requests for comment.
“Trump's executive order gave a directive for the follow-up sanction measures that shall be announced by the US Treasury... CNPC is worried that the company is likely to be hit by the secondary sanctions,” said one source.
A second person, an executive with a key marketer of Venezuelan oil in China, said his company was notified of the suspension.
The two sources declined to be identified as they are not authorised to speak to the media.
Xi "pushed for the US to show flexibility and meet the DPRK (North Korea) halfway, including the timely easing of sanctions against the DPRK and finding a solution to each other's concerns through dialogue," Wang Yi told reporters.
The United States is expected to announce on Monday that all buyers of Iranian oil will have to end their imports shortly or face sanctions, a source familiar with the situation told
Japan expects a limited impact from the US decision not to renew waivers previously granted on Iran oil import sanctions, the country’s trade and industry minister said on Tuesday.
Opec and allied nations agreed on Saturday to extend a production cut of nearly 10 million barrels of oil a day through the end of July, hoping to boost energy prices hard-hit by the coronavirus pandemic.
G20 members and invited countries have pledged more than $21 billion to fight COVID-19 and, with a spirit of solidarity, have shown they will spare no effort to protect lives and the most vulnerable.
Emaar chairman Mohamed Alabbar has told the UAE’s leading contractors that they must prepare for a new way of working as the economic activity gradually starts to pick up.