Russia's defence ministry said on Tuesday that fourteen seamen have died in a fire on a deep submersible.
"On July 1, a fire broke out during biometric measurements on a scientific research deep-sea submersible," the defence ministry said.
Fourteen crew died as a result of poisoning from the fumes of the fire in Russia's territorial waters, a ministry spokeswoman confirmed to reporters.
The fire has been put out, the ministry said, adding an investigation was under way.
"The investigation is being conducted by the commander-in-chief of the navy."
Deadly fire is the latest in a string of disasters and accidents to hit the country's navy.
The tragedy in the far north has echoes of the sinking of the Kursk submarine in 2000 that claimed the lives of 118 personnel and shook the first year of Vladimir Putin's presidency.
The research was conducted to study areas near the seabed and the seabed itself of the ocean in the interests of the Russian naval fleet, according to the ministry.
The vessel is now situated at a military base in the closed northern city of Severomorsk which is located on the Kola Peninsula above the Arctic Circle.
The defence ministry provided no other details.
Putin has yet to respond publicly to the disaster.
A military expert, speaking to media on condition of anonymity, rubbished claims that the fire happened during scientific research.
"Usually it's a cover for different type of work conducted on the seabed" like laying cables, the expert said.
The RBC newspaper, citing a source in law enforcement agencies, said the accident took place in the submersible deployed from the AC-12 nuclear submarine known as Losharik.
Novaya Gazeta independent newspaper said, citing sources, that the fire took place aboard the AC-12 submarine, killing the entire crew of 25 officers Russia has seen a number of such accidents in the post-Soviet period.
The fire at Power Station No. 27 broke out around 11:00am on Thursday around 20 kilometres (13 miles) from Moscow.
Local authorities promised to award the doctors who continued with the operation and the firefighters who extinguished the blaze. Firefighters who took more than two hours to put out the blaze said they used fans to keep smoke out of the operating room.
The fire broke out Wednesday night in the basement of the building and quickly spread to the ground floor. It was most likely caused by a malfunctioning electric cable, authorities said.
A third wave of coronavirus infections is likely to hit India by October, and although it will be better controlled than the latest outbreak the pandemic will remain a public health threat for at least another year, according to a poll of medical experts.
He added, “What we experience today will become something of the past tomorrow. Joining university and getting a degree was the ultimate end of our parents, but I assure you that education will never come to an end."
In a flash of a second, the men started to climb the pipe attached to the building forming a human chain.