Albert del Rosario was denied entry to Hong Kong on Friday and sent home, his lawyer said. File photo/ AFP
Former Philippine foreign minister Albert del Rosario, a critic of Beijing’s claims to the disputed South China Sea, was denied entry to Hong Kong on Friday and deported, his lawyer said.
Del Rosario was behind two prominent initiatives against China, including a 2013 case at an international arbitral tribunal which eventually ruled against Beijing’s claim over most of the resource-rich waterway.
His deportation comes as anger is still bubbling in Hong Kong over a proposed bill that would have allowed extraditions to the mainland, raising fears of people being ensnared in China’s opaque court system.
Del Rosario said he flew to Hong Kong early Friday using a Philippine diplomatic passport but was taken to an immigration holding area on arrival, where he remained “for nearly three and a half hours.”
Del Rosario’s lawyer Anne Marie Corominas subsequently told AFP: “He’s been excluded and deported.”
She said he was already aboard a plane back to the Philippines and added that authorities had given no reason for denying him entry.
Hong Kong immigration officials had no immediate statement on the deportation but routinely decline to comment on individual cases.
Although Hong Kong was returned from British to Chinese rule in 1997, it is still administered separately under an arrangement known as “One country, two systems.”
But activists have been alarmed in recent years by what they feel is a tighter grip by Beijing, though Hong Kong still retains freedoms unseen on the mainland.
Earlier del Rosario had told local Manila television network ABS-CBN that he was given “no rational explanation” for his detention.
In March, del Rosario filed a complaint against Chinese leader Xi Jinping at the International Criminal Court, alleging “crimes against humanity” over the supposed environmental fallout of Beijing’s activities in the disputed waters.
Controversy over boat crash
Hong Kong immigration authorities briefly held another Philippine critic of China, former Supreme Court justice and special anti-graft prosecutor Conchita Carpio Morales on May 21 when she made a private visit to the territory with her family.
Morales, who was also a party in the complaint filed by del Rosario at the ICC, was released hours later, but chose to return to Manila instead.
Del Rosario said he had been in Hong Kong to attend a board and shareholders’ meeting of a private company, and had asked the Philippine foreign department to inform the territory’s authorities about his trip.
The former foreign secretary, who served under previous Philippine president Benigno Aquino, accused airport immigration authorities of acting “in violation of the Vienna Convention” on diplomatic privileges.
Aquino’s elected successor President Rodrigo Duterte has since largely set aside the South China Sea ruling to court Chinese trade and investments.
Friday’s incident comes as the Duterte government seeks to calm public outrage over the June 9 sinking of a Filipino fishing boat by a Chinese vessel in an area of the South China Sea claimed by both countries.
Duterte has called the incident “just a collision of boats” and reiterated his country does not want war with China.
A Chinese foreign ministry spokesman called for a joint investigation of the sinking on Thursday, but Philippine Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin rejected the suggestion.
“There will be NO joint investigation. China and the Philippines will conduct their respective investigations,” he said in a tweet.
The brutal 600km MacArthur competition in the Philippines pits competitors against searing heat, wild seas, vicious predators and even kidnapping.
Hong Kong flag carrier Cathay Pacific announced on Wednesday that it will buy budget airline HK Express for US$628.15 million, as it moves to counter competition from the increasing number of low-cost carriers in the region.
Philippines’ annual inflation eased more than expected in June as food and fuel costs increased at a slower pace, the statistics agency said on Friday, supporting views that the central bank would cut rates at its policy meeting in August.
The Ministry of Finance (MoF) signed an agreement to encourage and protect investments between the UAE and the Hong Kong Government, as part of the ministry’s efforts to protect the nation’s investments abroad and to attract foreign investments.
Key stakeholders in child welfare have strongly recommended a more socially-driven and collaborative approach to create community awareness to ensure child safety.
Hazza Al Mansoori, the first Emirati astronaut who is preparing to take off for the International Space Station (ISS) on Sept.25, said, “This mission is a great responsibility upon me, through which and the other future missions, I will do my best to help enrich science and knowledge with scientific experiments that will be conducted on the ISS in partnership with the competent teams from different countries.”
Dr Abdulaziz Almusallam, Chairman of the Sharjah Institute of Heritage (SIH), revealed details of the 19th edition of the Sharjah International Narrator Forum at a press conference organised by the institute on Tuesday morning in the SIH offices. The forum is expected to commence on Sept.24 at the Sharjah Expo Center and will last for three days.