South Korea’s Defence Minister Jeong Kyeong-doo speaks during the IISS Shangri-La Dialogue summit in Singapore on Saturday. Roslan Rahman/ AFP
South Korea’s Defence Minister Jeong Kyeong-doo on Saturday fended off calls to step up pressure on North Korea after it test-fired missiles last month.
Jeong told an annual security conference in Singapore that the tests were being investigated and a conclusion is within reach.
“There are discussions whether or not it is a short-range ballistic missile. There is a perspective that it is a Russian Iskander missile, or it is a new tactical ballistic missile,” he said.
“There are data that we can verify, and we are working off those data to make sure we have a verification.”
Jeong was responding to a question on whether the tests were a violation of a military agreement between South and North Korea last September to halt acts of aggression against each other.
He said the North was “in fact acting within the boundaries” of the agreement and tensions between their militaries “have been lowered to a significant extent.”
“So currently the actions done by the North Korean regime have the intent to carry out the peace process through dialogue and talks. And I believe that’s the hidden intent behind the lines in terms of their missile launches.”
Jeong called on the international community to “assure North Korea that the decision to denuclearize is indeed the right decision.”
He said that South Korea sees humanitarian aid and the lowering of military tensions as ways “to lead North Korea into conversation and away from ... the ways of the past.”
North Korea itself has defended the launches, saying it was exercising its right to self-Defence.
The US and Japan say the short-range ballistic missile tests on May 4 and 9 were a violation of UN Security Council resolutions. The tests ended a pause in launches that began in late 2017, and came amid deadlocked negotiations to rid North Korea of nuclear weapons.
Japanese Defence Minister Takeshi Iwaya, who spoke at the same session on Korean security, stressed that a strict implementation of sanctions against North Korea was necessary.
He specifically directed his comments at South Korea, China and Russia.
“We need to enhance surveillance on a global scale while strengthening effort locally to ensure the full implementation of sanctions,” Iwaya said.
Earlier ON Saturday, US Acting Secretary of Defence Patrick Shanahan told the Shangri-La Dialogue conference that North Korea “remains an extraordinary threat” and has “neared a point where it could credibly strike regional allies, US territory, and our forward-deployed forces.”
Thursday’s missile tests were the first since Kim and US President Donald Trump agreed to resume nuclear talks during an impromptu meeting last month in the demilitarised zone between North and South Korea.
US President Donald Trump’s national security adviser, John Bolton, said on Saturday there was “no doubt” North Korea’s recent test missile launches violated United Nations resolutions.
A US special envoy to North Korea said on Friday that Washington was ready to hold constructive talks with Pyongyang to follow through on a denuclearisation agreement reached by the two countries
After a marathon session stretching into early Friday, the contestants simply could not be separated. Each winner received a $50,000 prize and a trophy - and they coined their own word for their joint success, "octochamps."
If the blockage goes on until the afternoon, operations will come to a complete halt, the sources said. The port was previously blocked from Oct. 29 to Nov. 9 with a brief resumption of operations between Nov. 7-9.
Voters in the Marshall Islands went to the polls on Monday in a general election that will determine who will lead the Pacific island country's negotiations with the United States
Others were taken to Community Regional Medical Center in critical condition, and some are in critical but stable condition, the TV stations reported.